Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com> on 1996/04/02 02:57:43 UTC

mod_status

Nice module BTW if I haven't said so.

Since Jim has taken off at a dead run with this thing....

The thought occurs to me that it would be nice if we could save
state by writing the scoreboard file to disk, and reloading it
at startup....

Re: mod_status

Posted by Mark J Cox <ma...@ukweb.com>.
On Mon, 1 Apr 1996, Randy Terbush wrote:
> The thought occurs to me that it would be nice if we could save
> state by writing the scoreboard file to disk, and reloading it
> at startup....

Yes, this is the one difficulty - you lose all your nice information when
the server dies or is HUPd.  At telescope.org a cron job runs a Perl
script every 3 minutes and obtains the "status?auto" page.  It gets all
the figures and sticks them on one line.  It appends this to a log file of
todays date.  Using this file you can then draw the pretty graphs and
analyse how many requests/bytes you are serving per minute. I'll finish
tidying it and stick in in /support/ along with the graph stuff to follow
later still.

The only concern I have is that the scoreboard now consists of over a
hundred bytes per process;  I wonder what the performance hit is on this
with non-memory scoreboards.  If it isn't much we could remove the
STATUS_INSTRUMENTATION defines.

Mark