Posted to general@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Manuel Mall <mm...@arcus.com.au> on 2007/03/27 10:28:48 UTC

RE: [Xmlgraphics Wiki] Update of "HueyMontpetit" by VincentHenneb ert

Vincent,

yes that s....

Any ideas what to do about it? Like

limit wiki write access to committers?
	or
have at least some form of approval before allowing write access?

Manuel

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vi...@anyware-tech.com>.
Hi Manuel,

Manuel Mall a écrit :
> Vincent,
>
> yes that s....
>
> Any ideas what to do about it? Like
>
> limit wiki write access to committers?

No, really. This would prevent potential contributors from getting
involved. Actually I myself hadn't any account yet on the xmlgraphics
part of the wiki before removing that spam. :-\

> 	or
> have at least some form of approval before allowing write access?

That's a better solution. My feeling is that we should consider doing
this only if we become overwhelmed with spam. Currently this is rare
enough to not reduce flexibility for real contributors.

What would be great is if we could remove the notifications of such
changes from the mail archives. For the initial notification this sounds
difficult to me, but we as committers could prevent our fixes from also
being mailed. This would at least reduce the number of references to the
links. If that's worth the trouble, of course...

A good thing however is that notifications are sent even for trivial
changes. Otherwise we would have probably never noticed that spam, or
much later. I guess the spammer was counting on the fact that trivial
changes wouldn't be notified.

Vincent