Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2007/11/14 00:22:01 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Rename all STATUS files to STATUS.txt

All,

In an effort to make my life easier (and that of anyone else working on
Windows) I'd like to change the STATUS files to STATUS.txt files since this
will allow me to use the default text editor for them. At the moment every
time I double click on a STATUS file to edit it, I have to select a text
editor and it is getting rather tiresome.

Alternatively, if anyone knows a workaround so I can just double click and
edit that would be fine too.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: [PROPOSAL] Rename all STATUS files to STATUS.txt

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hey.

On Nov 13, 2007 6:22 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> In an effort to make my life easier (and that of anyone else working on
> Windows) I'd like to change the STATUS files to STATUS.txt files since this
> will allow me to use the default text editor for them. At the moment every
> time I double click on a STATUS file to edit it, I have to select a text
> editor and it is getting rather tiresome.

+1.  In general I'm in favor of giving all files extensions as
applicable, for easier recognition at-a-glance.

> Alternatively, if anyone knows a workaround so I can just double click and
> edit that would be fine too.

I'm sure every modern OS has such a mechanism somewhere in its bowels,
but I think the benefits of having an extension on the file name are
worth the effort regardless.

Yoav

Re: [PROPOSAL] Rename all STATUS files to STATUS.txt

Posted by Guenter Knauf <fu...@apache.org>.
Hi Mark,
> Alternatively, if anyone knows a workaround so I can just double click and
> edit that would be fine too.
not directly what you might expect - however much better than the open selector:
open the menue tree with right-click on the start button, then in the 'All users' or in your personal tree lookup the 'SendTo' folder (requires setting to be able to view hidden folders), inside the 'SendTo' folder add a link to your favorite text editor, and prepend the link description with a '-' so that it appears at the top of the SendTo menue. Now you can right-click any file, and via SendTo context menue send to your text editor.

Guenter.