Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Alex Hartner <ah...@Thunderhead.com> on 2014/03/20 12:12:54 UTC

Reserving IP address in DHCP range

Hi all,

Most of our systems are allocated IP addresses from the CIDR of the guest network which is defined at 10.X.X.0/24. Some of our VMs require a static IP address, so we allocate these manually on startup and specify the IPADDRESS attribute on the startup request (example : nic>ipaddress=10.X.X.254). Since the “static” ip addresses are assigned from the top end of the range and the “dynamic” ones are assigned starting from the bottom we didn’t have an issue initially. However with the number of VMs growning we not entered a phase where the address ranges overlap.

My question is what are the options for reserving certain addresses on the guest network for manual allocation. Is it sufficient to acquire the ip addresses, and will I be able to assign an acquired IP address to a VM on startup ?

Regards
Alex

Alex Hartner
Enterprise Architect
T +44 20 8238 7423
ahartner@Thunderhead.com<ma...@Thunderhead.com>

[http://thunderhead.com/email_signature/images/thf2.gif]        Thunderhead Limited
www.thunderhead.com<http://www.thunderhead.com>         WE'RE HIRING[http://thunderhead.com/email_signature/images/ar.gif]<http://www.thunderhead.com/company/careers/available-roles/> THE BLOG[http://thunderhead.com/email_signature/images/ar.gif]<http://www.thunderhead.com/blog>
[http://thunderhead.com/email_signature/images/lki.jpg]<http://www.linkedin.com/company/25033>  [http://thunderhead.com/email_signature/images/tw.jpg] <http://twitter.com/Thunderheadon>       [http://thunderhead.com/email_signature/images/rss.jpg] <http://www.thunderhead.com/rss-feeds>  [http://thunderhead.com/email_signature/images/yt.jpg] <http://www.youtube.com/ThunderheadOn>

Thunderhead.com is the trading name of Thunderhead Limited which is registered in England under No. 4303041 whose registered office is at Ingeni Building, 17 Broadwick Street, Soho, London. W1F 0DJ.

The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only. It contains confidential information. Unless you are the named addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us immediately and then destroy it.

ONE Correspond for Salesforce is available for a free 30 day trial. Get it now here<http://www.thunderhead.com/customerengagement/test-drive-the-fastest-way-to-generate-documents-in-saleforce/?utm_source=utm_source%3Dsignature&utm_medium=utm_medium%3Demail&utm_campaign=utm_campaign%3DOCfSF&utm_term=utm_term%3DOCfSFfreetrial&utm_content=utm_content%3Dvideo>

RE: Reserving IP address in DHCP range

Posted by Alex Hartner <ah...@Thunderhead.com>.
I was afraid of this. Just want to confirm that to avoid conflict between static and dynamic addresses I have to use separate networks.

I wonder how this affects services which rely on multicast / broadcast to work between the VMs. I fear it may not work in the case of separate networks.

Thanks for your help.
Alex

Posted by Shanker Balan <sh...@shapeblue.com>.
On 21-Mar-2014, at 11:00 am, Sanjeev Neelarapu <sa...@citrix.com> wrote:

> I think in the same guest network we can't have few VMs with dynamic
> IP addresses and others with static.

CloudStack does allow you to use an external DHCP server via custom network
offering. You should be able to make reservations on the external
DHCP server as per requirement.

PS: I have not used this feature so cant comment on the implementation

--
@shankerbalan

M: +91 98860 60539 | O: +91 (80) 67935867
ShapeBlue Services India LLP, 22nd floor, Unit 2201A, World Trade Centre, Bangalore - 560 055

Our CloudStack Infrastructure Support<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-infrastructure-support/> offers the best 24/7 SLA for CloudStack Environments.

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

RE: Reserving IP address in DHCP range

Posted by Sanjeev Neelarapu <sa...@citrix.com>.