Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mike Kelley <Mi...@M-V-T.COM> on 2001/12/19 06:04:19 UTC

Code request; Code to reveal a DB schema

I'm looking for some dynamic code that will reveal all libraries, files,
fields in a DB Does anyone have an example or can you point me in the right
direction?

I know I stumbled across something when installing TC but I can't find it
now ....

TIA

Mike

Re: Code request; Code to reveal a DB schema

Posted by August Detlefsen <au...@yahoo.com>.
What DB are you using?

For Oracle, anyway:

SELECT table_name FROM all_tables;
SELECT trigger_name FROM all_triggers;
SELECT view_name FROM all_views;

-Will give you the lists of all tables, triggers, and views
respectively in your DB.

For the structure of each table, use:

DESC <tablename>

or

SELECT column_name, data_type
FROM user_tab_columns
WHERE table_name = '<tablename>';

You can also use DESC on the all_whatever views to see what other
columns are available for each one.

Posted by Jim Cheesman <jc...@msl.es>.
At 06:04 AM 19/12/01, you wrote:
>I'm looking for some dynamic code that will reveal all libraries, files,
>fields in a DB Does anyone have an example or can you point me in the right
>direction?

java.sql.DatabaseMetaData is your friend!

--

                           *   Jim Cheesman   *
             Trabajo: