Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Ronald Hulen <ro...@fanniemae.com> on 2003/03/18 15:50:31 UTC

HotDeploy not working with 1.1rc1

We recently upgraded our application from using struts 1.1b1 to using
1.1rc1 and as such can no longer hot-deploy the application.  Hot Deploy
was working with the 1.1b1 release.

We are using the hot-deploy feature in Weblogic 7.0 SP1 in an exploded
ear format for development purposes.

The problem appears to be that the request processor is not being
re-initialized properly.   We get the following exception when
hot-deploying the application:

 Root cause of ServletException
 [WLS70Run] java.lang.NullPointerException
 [WLS70Run]     at
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processPath(RequestProcessor.java:762)
 [WLS70Run]     at
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.java:220)
 [WLS70Run]     at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1422)
 [WLS70Run]     at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doGet(ActionServlet.java:502)
 [WLS70Run]     at
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:740)
 [WLS70Run]     at
 [WLS70Run]     at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl$ServletInvocationAction.run(ServletStubImpl.java:1058)
 [WLS70Run]     at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:401)
 [WLS70Run]     at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:306)
 [WLS70Run]     at
weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext$ServletInvocationAction.run(WebAppServletContext.java:5412)
 [WLS70Run]     at
weblogic.security.service.SecurityServiceManager.runAs(SecurityServiceManager.java:744)
 [WLS70Run]     at
weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.invokeServlet(WebAppServletContext.java:3086)
 [WLS70Run]     at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletRequestImpl.execute(ServletRequestImpl.java:2544)
 [WLS70Run]     at
weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.execute(ExecuteThread.java:153)
 [WLS70Run]     at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java:134)
 [WLS70Run] >

Note:  redeploying the application works properly.  However, re-deploy
causes the JSP's to be re-compiled in WLS7.0 which is very time consuming.

Has anyone seen this problem in 1.1rc1?

- Ron