Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by srinalluri <na...@yahoo.com> on 2012/08/22 16:35:31 UTC

search is slow for URL fields of type String.

This is string fieldType:

    <fieldType name="string" class="solr.StrField" sortMissingLast="true" />

These are the filelds using 'string' fieldType:

  <field name="image_url" type="string" indexed="true" stored="true"
multiValued="true" />
  <field name="url" type="string" indexed="true" stored="true"
multiValued="true" />

And this the sample query:
/select/?q=url:http\://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/2012/08/10/social-change-coming-from-gas-prices-to-rent-prices-and-beyond/
AND image_url:*

Each query like this taking around 400 milli seconds. What are the change I
can do to the fieldType to improve query performance?

thanks
Srini

Re: search is slow for URL fields of type String.

Posted by Karthick Duraisamy Soundararaj <ka...@gmail.com>.
Srini,
        Whats the size of your index? You are saying that searching on
'string' fieldType takes 400 milli seconds but did you try searching on any
other fieldType other than string? If so, how much time did it take?

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@gmail.com>.
Also note, emphasizing what Erick said below, that with this type of "has a value in field" type clause, it works fine as an fq as that gets cached so you only take the performance hit once on it.  Generally this is a clause that is reused so be sure to peel it off as an fq rather than AND'ing it to a q(uery) parameter.

The advice to make a separate has_<fieldname> field (or field_size) is the best advice, but when dealing with low cardinality fields it's not really an issue to use something like category:* where there are only a handful of category values in use.

	Erik

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.