Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Grethe Simonsen <gr...@webspeed.dk> on 2016/07/29 20:45:49 UTC

Conveting files from Word Perfect x7

Hello.

Before downloading open office Apache, i would like to insure, that it is
possible to convert files from Word Perfectx7 to Apache.

Kindly

Grethe Simonsen

Re: Conveting files from Word Perfect x7

Posted by Don Daugherty <dd...@sunflower.com>.
Just be aware that Libreofice can't re-save as .wpd after editing.
Expect to open .wpd and then after editing, save as .odt or any other
format that Libreoffice can write.

Posted by toki <to...@gmail.com>.

Box size [was Re: Conveting files from Word Perfect x7]

Posted by Robert Funnell <ro...@mcgill.ca>.
On Sat, 30 Jul 2016, Ace Rosman wrote:

> When I open OpenOffice I get a very small box to write on and am not able to
> even see what I type.   In the past, the box filled a good part of the
> monitor and was a pleasure to use.  How can I enlarge the box?

If I understand correctly, the Window (or box) for your OpenOffice is
smaller than it used to be. I don't know why that would have happened,
but can't you resize the window to make it bigger by clicking and
dragging the edges or corners of the window?

Zoom : Was Re: Conveting files from Word Perfect x7

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 11:12:18 -0700
Ace Rosman <ac...@comcast.net> wrote:

> When I open OpenOffice I get a very small box to write on and am not
> able to even see what I type.   In the past, the box filled a good part
> of the monitor and was a pleasure to use.  How can I enlarge the box?
>

> Irwin Rosman   Tucson AZ

/view /Zoom or pull slider in bottom right of OO window (on the bottom bar)
--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Conveting files from Word Perfect x7

Posted by brian <br...@meadows.pair.com>.
On Sun, 31 Jul 2016 21:46:45 -0400, you wrote:

>Believe it or not, as of right now Zamzar still enables people to convert
>files *to* WordPerfect (wpd).
>
>Jeff Deutsch
>Speaker & Life Coach
>A SPLINT - ASPies LInking with NTs
>http://www.asplint.com

And why does that cause you a problem, exactly? I still use an old
version of Word Perfect (v12, I think) as my word processor of choice
when I don't need to send the file to anyone else. If the site allows
me to convert files to Word Perfect, why should they disable that
feature, as you seem to imply?

I learned to use Word Perfect under what was then VAX/VMS in the late
1980s, then via WP 5.1 for DOS to WP for Windows. It still does a good
job, and I prefer it to Open Office unless there's a chance that I
need to share the document.

And don't give me any BS about "out-of-date" software or similar. I
spent a working lifetime writing (mainly) software for doing process
control and laboratory database work. You should see the amount of
antique kit which was bought to do a specific job in a laboratory and
is still doing that job because the kit still works and does the job
well. Case in point is the Canadian nuclear energy people who are (or
were recently) looking for DEC PDP assembly language programmers, they
apparently intend to keep their PDPs running until 2050, more than 50
years since the now-extinct DEC discontinued them. Were I a few years
younger, I'd be brushing up my Macro-11...

Brian.

Re: Converting files from Word Perfect x7

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 10:48 01/08/2016 -0400, Jeffrey Deutsch wrote:
>And only switched over to Word -- that is, to OpenOffice ...

I think both Microsoft and Apache would be interested to read that
you found Word in OpenOffice. Did you also find Writer in Microsoft Office?

;^)

Brian Barker

Re: Converting files from Word Perfect x7

Posted by Jeffrey Deutsch <jd...@gmail.com>.
By that I meant that Word and OpenOffice['s Writer] aren't quite the same,
but the latter stood in for the former.

Word is the standard, because whoever opens your file just sees the .doc or
.docx at the end. They know little and care less that you actually
used OpenOffice['s Writer].

=|8-}

Jeff Deutsch
Speaker & Life Coach
A SPLINT - ASPies LInking with NTs
http://www.asplint.com

"Listen to the universe while it whispers before it has to shout."
Marion Grobb Finkelstein, Communication Catalyst --
http://www.MarionSpeaks.com

Posted by Jeffrey Deutsch <jd...@gmail.com>.
Good morning Brian,

As one who learned WordPerfect in 1986, also via DOS and then Windows*, and
used it on my first four PCs, I have no objection whatsoever to that Zamzar
feature.

In fact, I still have a copy of WP v8 lying around here somewhere...it came
with the PC I bought in 1998**. I had a choice between MS Word and
WordPerfect, with the understanding that the storefront manufacturer could
only support the former. I picked the latter...knowing the handwriting was
on the wall. (Meanwhile, that same year my university stopped supporting
WordPerfect.)

I always liked Reveal Codes and certain other visual functions. You have a
good point about sometimes just needing to generate files for yourself --
maybe your own notes or for printouts. (Of course, if WordPerfect also
exports to PDF your options widen.)

I'm just intrigued that apparently some people, after generating their own
files in a *different* software, want to share them with someone else who
does use WordPerfect.

Last but not least, I'm well aware how many U.S. government facilities --
including sensitive military ones -- run on classic software (and
floppies!).

[*] And only switched over to Word -- that is, to OpenOffice -- in 2004,
kicking and screaming, when I took on a project requiring me to read
students' submissions. Naturally, by then they'd all switched over to MS
Word. And I found MS Works wasn't going to cut it.

[**] No, it's not what I'm typing this email on.

Long live legacies!

Posted by Jeffrey Deutsch <jd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

RE: Conveting files from Word Perfect x7

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

Posted by Jim McLaughlin <jj...@gmail.com>.
I have not used any Word Perfect product in at least a  dozen years.
I do not know what file formats WP 7 uses.

It is my understanding that Open Office (OO) 4.2.1does not directly handle
the PW file format *.wpd, due to licensing issues with Corel, the publisher
of Word Perfect.

Similarly, OO does not handle the *.docx file formats whic the newer
versions of MIcro$loth Word and Micro$loth Office utilize.

I know that there are "work arounds" for the Micro$oft files, which can be
forced to save documents in the *.doc format.

I do not know if there are similar workarounds for the Word Perfect file
formats within Word Perfect 7.

I do know that the MIcro$oft Word / Office work arounds require that yu
have Word / Office available upon your machine in addition to OO.

Hopefully others more familiar with WP7 will join in this discussion.