Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by "Kevin A. Burton - burtonator" <bu...@openprivacy.org> on 2001/12/15 22:51:07 UTC

Using JPDA to dump the state of a running VM.

OK.

I create this project in the past

http://javacore.sourceforge.net/

but never added JPDA support because I didn't really have a JVM to play with.
JPDA in JDK 1.2.2 sucked but in 1.4 it is pretty solid.

It would be nice to have a project that could:

- connect to a running VM over IP

- suspend it dump the current state including threads, locals, source (if
available), etc.

- save the output to an XML file for later debugging.

This could be a win for Apache because it could enable us to accept 'core dumps'
from running server VMs so that we could debug them outside of their original
environment.

Thoughts?

The future is not set.  There is no fate but what we make for ourselves.