Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by M Coffee <mr...@yahoo.com> on 2007/02/12 19:21:03 UTC

Building the Jasper compiler

Could I ask again for a reference to instructions on how to build the Jasper compiler?  The
Building.txt that comes with it does not work for me (Win2K, jdk 1.5, ant 1.7.0).

Or, would you let me know if it is not possible to build the Jasper compiler except through the
Tomcat build?

I have been able to compile individual classes in jasper, so that's what I've been doing, and
patching the working jar I have.  But I'd rather be following an ant build process, just to be
sure that all of the environment is being referenced correctly.

Is there a mailing list just for Jasper that I should be sending this question to?

M Coffee

Re: Building the Jasper compiler

Posted by "William L. Thomson Jr." <wl...@gentoo.org>.
On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 14:04 -0800, M Coffee wrote:

> There is a jasper build.xml, but it doesn't build the jars without a
> complete Tomcat build environment (and possibly an older version of
> Ant), so I stopped working on debugging that one. There's no
> documentation for it either -- the code is the documentation, I guess.

Ok, so that means 5.x, ideally 5.5.x. We were building 5.0.28's jasper
with no modifications that I can see. Here is our ebuild for
tomcat-jasper-5.0.28.

http://overlays.gentoo.org/svn/proj/java/migrated-java-experimental-overlay/dev-java/tomcat-jasper/tomcat-jasper-5.0.28.ebuild

It's basically a custom bash script ( Gentoo specific ) which is what we
call a "package". It just unpacks, set's up the env, propererties and
etc, then invokes ant, and installs the stuff once done. No patches or
etc are applied to sources, so we are just invoking the shipped
build.xml for jasper.

Off hand I can't see where 5.5.x would be much different, since 5.0.x
and 5.5.x have similar build systems for the most part. Devs are welcome
to correct me there if I am missing something. It's been a very long
time since I messed with 5.0.x sources ;) A few months since last with
5.5.x.

> I definitely don't want to move up to Tomcat 6 until the problems with
> debugging JSP pages in the Tomcat 5 environment are resolved.  We've
> waited a while, and now I'm trying to hack it to the point where we
> can use it internally.

Er, I would focus on 6.0.x. If your still on 4.x, why even bother with
5.x? I would start testing 6.0.x, since it's pretty different than 5.x.
If you must with 5.x, then 5.5.x.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.
Gentoo/Java

Re: Building the Jasper compiler

Posted by M Coffee <mr...@yahoo.com>.
William,

> >   This explains why I couldn't find an independent build process for
> > Jasper. So I'll continue patching the jar, and wait for the
> > development you do on Gentoo.
>
> I will try to remember to shoot you a heads up when I do. It will be the
> build.xml that you want. But really they are not bad to make, feel free
> to try yourself.

Sure, I could probably work through getting the build.xml for jasper to run.  It just seemed like
something that would have already been done.  If I get one working, I'll post it here.

> >   If you do any
> > work on the Jasper compiler,
>

> My focus these days is on 6.0.x. I hope you are wanting to build a 6.0.x
> Jasper. As I doubt I will be packaging a 5.5.x jasper, and I believe
> there was a jasper specific build xml with the 5.5.x branch. It's been a
> bit since I last dug in sources so can't recall from memory at this
> time.

There is a jasper build.xml, but it doesn't build the jars without a complete Tomcat build
environment (and possibly an older version of Ant), so I stopped working on debugging that one.
There's no documentation for it either -- the code is the documentation, I guess.

I definitely don't want to move up to Tomcat 6 until the problems with debugging JSP pages in the
Tomcat 5 environment are resolved.  We've waited a while, and now I'm trying to hack it to the
point where we can use it internally.

Thanks again,

M Coffee

Posted by "William L. Thomson Jr." <wl...@gentoo.org>.
On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 13:16 -0800, M Coffee wrote:
> William,
>
> Thanks for responding.

No problem.

>   This explains why I couldn't find an independent build process for
> Jasper. So I'll continue patching the jar, and wait for the
> development you do on Gentoo.

I will try to remember to shoot you a heads up when I do. It will be the
build.xml that you want. But really they are not bad to make, feel free
to try yourself.

>   If you do any
> work on the Jasper compiler,

Nada, I am downstream, no contributions from me to upstream yet. I hope
to in the future, but need the time and possible the skillz ;)

Posted by M Coffee <mr...@yahoo.com>.
William,

Thanks for responding.  This explains why I couldn't find an independent build process for Jasper.
 So I'll continue patching the jar, and wait for the development you do on Gentoo.  If you do any
work on the Jasper compiler, please think about addressing the problem of getting reasonably good
source code lines numbers (jsp or java would be fine) from a JSP compile error.  It worked well in
Tomcat 4, but the Jasper compiler in Tomcat 5 does a poor job of it.  That's why we haven't
switched our development environments to Tomcat 5, and why I'm trying to do some sort of hack to
at least see the underlying compiler error messages.

M Coffee

Posted by "William L. Thomson Jr." <wl...@gentoo.org>.