Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net> on 2017/08/21 13:33:24 UTC

Slow HTTP DoS: Trafficserver needs something like mod_reqtimeout

on httpd this is just a single config line

https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_reqtimeout.html
RequestReadTimeout header=5-15,MinRate=500 body=20,MinRate=500

while we have ratelimiting and max-connection per ip/subnet to solve
that problems on the firewall instead in the attacked application it
makes me tired in case of external security audits that i have to
explain every single time that this is because of rate-control
whitelists for the scanner IP

Severity
Medium

Type
Configuration
Reported by module Slow_HTTP_DOS

Description
Your web server is vulnerable to Slow HTTP DoS (Denial of Service) attacks.

Slowloris and Slow HTTP POST DoS attacks rely on the fact that the HTTP
protocol, by design, requires requests to be completely received by the
server before they are processed. If an HTTP request is not complete, or
if the transfer rate is very low, the server keeps its resources busy
waiting for the rest of the data. If the server keeps too many resources
busy, this creates a denial of service.

Impact
A single machine can take down another machine's web server with minimal
bandwidth and side effects on unrelated
services and ports.

Re: Slow HTTP DoS: Trafficserver needs something like mod_reqtimeout

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.
[root@arrakis:~]$ tail -f php_error.log
[21-Aug-2017 16:31:09 Europe/Vienna] TEST PROXY/ORIGIN TIMOUT: 60

WTF - log on the Backend-Server
[21-Aug-2017 16:31:09 Europe/Vienna] TEST PROXY/ORIGIN TIMOUT: 60
[21-Aug-2017 16:32:09 Europe/Vienna] TEST PROXY/ORIGIN TIMOUT: 60
[21-Aug-2017 16:33:09 Europe/Vienna] TEST PROXY/ORIGIN TIMOUT: 60
[21-Aug-2017 16:34:09 Europe/Vienna] TEST PROXY/ORIGIN TIMOUT: 60
[21-Aug-2017 16:35:09 Europe/Vienna] TEST PROXY/ORIGIN TIMOUT: 60

and now what - trafficserver is trying every 60 seconds for
"proxy.config.http.transaction_no_activity_timeout_out" and don't say
anything to the client?

WTF - log on the trafficserver
20170821.16h30m39s CONNECT:[0] could not connect [INACTIVE_TIMEOUT] to
*.*.*.* for 'http://www.example.com/timeout.php?x=1'
20170821.16h35m41s CONNECT: could not connect to *.*.*.* for
'http://www.example.com/timeout.php?x=1' (setting last failure time)
20170821.16h35m41s RESPONSE: sent *.*.*.* status 504 (Connection Timed
Out) for 'http://www.example.com/timeout.php?x=1'

yeah it can take some time on a output-buffering backend application to
respond and hence "CONFIG
proxy.config.http.transaction_no_activity_timeout_out INT 300" so i have
no idea why the script below leads to 5 log-entries and trafficserver
let the client sit and wait all the time without any response

<?php
ob_start();
$start = time();
sleep(60);
echo "OK: ", (time() - $start), "\n";
error_log('TEST PROXY/ORIGIN TIMOUT: 60');
?>

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.