Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Avi Ben-Harush <av...@atomica.com> on 2001/09/17 10:56:20 UTC

apache/mod_perl socket bug on Win32

it seems that apache/mod_perl have a problem with sockets on win32. after the socket has been opened successfully (I double check to
see if the socket handler is defined with "fileno($socket)") the print to the socket is failing due to an "invalid argument" error
. it seems that this bug exists for some time http://archive.davin.ottawa.on.ca/modperl/1999-02/msg00129.phtml.
someone suggested that to avoid the problem the apache should use only one thread, unfortunately I can't use  a one thread system.
do you of any other solutions to this problem ?

I'm using apache 1.3.20 for win32, mod_perl 1.25_01-dev.

10X.

Re: apache/mod_perl socket bug on Win32

Posted by Joshua Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.
Avi Ben-Harush wrote:

> it seems that apache/mod_perl have a problem with sockets on win32. after the socket has been opened successfully (I double check to
> see if the socket handler is defined with "fileno($socket)") the print to the socket is failing due to an "invalid argument" error
> . it seems that this bug exists for some time http://archive.davin.ottawa.on.ca/modperl/1999-02/msg00129.phtml.
> someone suggested that to avoid the problem the apache should use only one thread, unfortunately I can't use  a one thread system.
> do you of any other solutions to this problem ?
>
> I'm using apache 1.3.20 for win32, mod_perl 1.25_01-dev.

I would try a one threaded mod_perl system as a mod_perl backend
that you ProxyPass to from a front end server.  This might
work out though I don't know how Win32 installation would
work for this.  See this link for the dual httpd setup:

  http://perl.apache.org/guide/scenario.html#mod_proxy

I have only used mod_perl on a WinNT for development, so
have not had to work through this problem before, but this
is the approach I would take if I were to.

-- Josh