Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Robert B. Easter" <re...@comptechnews.com> on 2000/04/20 17:56:00 UTC

Trouble with DSO/APXS.

Will mod_perl work as a DSO using  USE_APXS=1?

I've tried it very simply as:
	perl Makefile.PL USE_APXS=1
	make
	make install

It compiles ok and Apache 1.3.12 will startup identifying itself as
mod_perl/1.22_01-dev mod_ssl 2.6.2 openSSL 0.9.5a (sometimes I Load php4
too but it doesn't matter either way).  When its up, I can load regular html
files and images and php scripts that access a PostgreSQL db.  But when I try
to access a pl script or directory, I get no data returned and:

	child pid xxxxx exit signal Segmentation fault (11)

everytime.  Sometimes I get other strange messages in the apache error_log too.

Is there some special way to compile it?  I've tried the 1.22 stable also, same
thing.

I've tried compiling php4 and mod_perl into apache statically also.  It worked
but was unstable -  php4 would cause seg faults sometimes.  I think it was
mod_perl's fault tho.  When I remove mod_perl, things seem ok again.  I'm
hoping to be able make mod_perl as DSO so I can play around with it
sometimes by loading it just when I want to.

--
Robert B. Easter
reaster@comptechnews.com

Re: Trouble with DSO/APXS.

Posted by Daniel Jacobowitz <dr...@false.org>.
On Thu, Apr 20, 2000 at 11:56:00AM -0400, Robert B. Easter wrote:
> Will mod_perl work as a DSO using  USE_APXS=1?
>
> I've tried it very simply as:
> 	perl Makefile.PL USE_APXS=1
> 	make
> 	make install
>
> It compiles ok and Apache 1.3.12 will startup identifying itself as
> mod_perl/1.22_01-dev mod_ssl 2.6.2 openSSL 0.9.5a (sometimes I Load php4
> too but it doesn't matter either way).  When its up, I can load regular html
> files and images and php scripts that access a PostgreSQL db.  But when I try
> to access a pl script or directory, I get no data returned and:

Try the current version.

Dan

Re: Trouble with DSO/APXS.

Posted by "Robert B. Easter" <re...@comptechnews.com>.
On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, Doug MacEachern wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, Robert B. Easter wrote:
>
> > Will mod_perl work as a DSO using  USE_APXS=1?
>
> with 1.22 it should work fine.
>
> > 	child pid xxxxx exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
>
> any chance you're using XML::Parser?  if so, configure apache with
> --disable-rule=EXPAT
>
> otherwise, we'll need a stacktrace to help, see the SUPPORT doc for hints.

I don't have XML::Parser installed.
I'd like to know what versions people have had success with.
I tried making a DSO with:

perl			5.6.0 for i686-linux
mod_perl		1.22
egcs			2.91.66 (slackware)
apache			1.3.12 (with mod_ssl 2.6.2 / openssl 0.9.5a DSO)

Again, I can Load PHP4 as a DSO and it works fine.  But for testing mod_perl, I
tried removing it but that didn't help.

I'm wondering if maybe I need a different compiler version.  I've heard of
different compiler version making a difference.

If you had success with mod_perl as a DSO/APXS, please share with me your
version numbers.  Thanks!

Re: Trouble with DSO/APXS.

Posted by Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>.