Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/04 18:03:32 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Problem with setting up authentication on an Apache2 server

> When I restarted the computer, and tried to access the page in question, I
> was confronted with a 500 Internal Server Error message.

What does your error log say?

RE: [users@httpd] Problem with setting up authentication on an Apache2 server

Posted by "Kaplan, Andrew H." <AH...@PARTNERS.ORG>.
Hi there --

Thanks for your reply. I checked the error.log file, and I came across the
following entry:

[Tue Jan 04 11:08:34 2011] [alert] [client 132.183.12.230]
/var/www/logs/.htaccess: AuthUserFile takes 1-2 arguments, text file containing
user IDs and passwords.

I checked the .htaccess file, and it turns out there was a 'white space' in the
file that was causing the problem.
Once I removed that, the authentication worked.

Thanks for the help.

> When I restarted the computer, and tried to access the page in question, I
> was confronted with a 500 Internal Server Error message.

What does your error log say?

dispose of the e-mail.