Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by mjustin <mi...@gmx.net> on 2010/04/06 08:49:14 UTC

ActiveMQ running on Amazon EC2 (Elastic Compute Cloud)

Hello,

for some product demos (Delphi and Java integration with ActiveMQ) I am
interested in running a small Ubuntu Linux instance on Amazon EC2 with
ActiveMQ, which would provide a ready to use environment where no Java and
ActiveMQ download and installation is required.

Yesterday I did a quick test and managed to install and run ActiveMQ 5.3.1
remotely in a couple of minutes. Storage and usage costs depend on the
machine size and "opening times". Storage costs for the image are $0.50 per
month so I will give it a try and write about it on my blog and share some
installation guides and links.

Regarding the 'public' availability of the ActiveMQ instance and traffic
costs, I have one question: are there global settings in ActiveMQ to limit
the size, speed or number of messages producers can send?

Regards,

-----
Michael Justin
SCJP, SCJA
betasoft - Software for Delphi™ and for the Java™ platform
http://www.mikejustin.com - http://www.betabeans.de

Re: ActiveMQ running on Amazon EC2 (Elastic Compute Cloud)

Posted by Dejan Bosanac <de...@nighttale.net>.
Good work Justin. Will try to find some time to play with it these days.
BTW. re JWS 3.4.0 it is nice, but unfortunately it is GPL licensed, so we
cannot use it (and must stick to 3.2.3). See this thread for more info

http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@maven.apache.org/msg74005.html

<http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@maven.apache.org/msg74005.html>Cheers

Blog - http://www.nighttale.net

Posted by mjustin <mi...@gmx.net>.
Hello Dejan,

currently I try to configure ActiveMQ with Java Service Wrapper 3.4.0, which
is now able to install the service. So the ActiveMQ broker service it will
start when the computer boots:

http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.org/doc/english/launch-nix.html

This new feature in release 3.4.0 also would be a very nice addition to
ActiveMQ imho.

If it runs ok in EC2 I will come back.

Cheers,
Michael

-----

Posted by Dejan Bosanac <de...@nighttale.net>.
Hi James,

I belive that building a distro from the binary tarball is the best way to
go, as they should be in sync and we can create distros in the release
process.

I started experementing with unix-maven-plugin

http://fisheye6.atlassian.com/browse/activemq/trunk/assembly/pom-rpm.xml?r=HEAD

but it doesn't behave quite as I expect. One other thing is that it needs to
be executed on the specific platform as it is just a wrapper for the native
commands. So, I'm thinking about doing it without maven as I don't see any
advantages of it.

BTW. I'll use https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQ-2105 for all
related work in this area.

Thanks for your contribution and please post your comments.

Cheers

Blog - http://www.nighttale.net

Posted by James Casey <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dejan,