Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Guenter Wildmann <wi...@it-lab.at> on 2001/11/15 18:14:14 UTC

servlet as RMI client - registry not found

Hi!

At first I want to say: I have read the how-tos, faq, guides, tutorials
etc. regarding servlet and rmi but I did not find a solution
for my problem.

I am using tomcat 4.0.1 on RedHat Linux 7.1, kernel 2.4.4,
using IBM JDK 1.3.0.

The task is to have a servlet (MyServlet) which uses mypackage.MyRmi
via rmi calls.
mypackage.MyRmi and mypackage.MyRmiImpl seem to be correct because
I can use them from a testclass on a different machine.
But when I try to use them in MyServlet the Naming.lookup
does not work, an exception is raised and tomcat hangs.

The things I configured:
I made a directory tree according the specifications
  (webapps/myapp/WEB-INF/classes)
MyServlet is in the classes dir, the package in classes/mypackage.
I generated a web.xml in WEB-INF.
I added a grant codeBase-section which reflects the settings used in
the policy-file for my test-application.

I installed the RPM Version so Tomcat is started via the provided
script.
Any ideas anyone?
Thanks in advance.
--

Guenter

Re: servlet as RMI client - registry not found

Posted by Guenter Wildmann <wi...@it-lab.at>.
Altough nobody on the list seems to be using a servlet as a RMI-Client
because I did not receive a single response to my newbie-question, i
post
my experiences, they might be useful for newbies in future.

Tomcat does not allow to install a security manager the way it is
done in an application and the way it is suggested in several
RMI-Servlet tutorials. Tomcat has to be startet with an option
-security to install its own security manager.
The script in /etc/init.d/ of the RPM-Version (tomcat 4.0.1) does
NOT start the SM by default, you have to use the 'basic' script in
the tomcat directory and add the -security option.

The next step is to alter the security settings for tomcat AND
for the RMI-Server! The security settings for the RMI-Server which
worked for the use by an application do not work for the use by a
tomcat servlet!!

Hope this helps anyone.

Guenter