Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2010/10/27 22:11:21 UTC

Maven plugin for automatic NOTICE and LICENSE resource generation; was Re: NOTICE and LICENCE file annoyances

Folks,

I have the first, very simple, but already quite useful, version of the
maven plugin for automatic NOTICE and LICENSE resource generation.

The plugin can traverse the project hierarchy upwards and pick up NOTICE
and LICENSE files at the level they are defined. That is, different
modules within the same project can have different licenses / notice. If
undefined on the current project level, resources of the parent project
will be used.

Please note the plugin does not use keywords expansion when generating
NOTICE files. It simply strips away the first two lines and re-generates
them based on parameters in the pom descriptor. This way the source
NOTICE file remains complete and fully readable even when copied with
the source distribution

You can find the plugin code here:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/maven-notice-plugin/trunk/

I also created a branch in the HttpClient project to test the plugin. I
personally think the project metadata looks cleaner and conciser with
all NOTICE and LICENSE specific stuff gone.

Please have a look

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/httpclient/branches/notice-plugin-test/

And here comes the main question

Do we need a formal release vote in order to publish the plugin to the
official ASF repository, even though it is not going to be distributed
as a source tarball (official ASF release)?

Oleg

Re: [ATTN] Deployment of maven plugin for automatic NOTICE and LICENSE resource generation

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 1 November 2010 22:49, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-10-27 at 22:11 +0200, Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> I have the first, very simple, but already quite useful, version of the
>> maven plugin for automatic NOTICE and LICENSE resource generation.
>>
>> The plugin can traverse the project hierarchy upwards and pick up NOTICE
>> and LICENSE files at the level they are defined. That is, different
>> modules within the same project can have different licenses / notice. If
>> undefined on the current project level, resources of the parent project
>> will be used.
>>
>> Please note the plugin does not use keywords expansion when generating
>> NOTICE files. It simply strips away the first two lines and re-generates
>> them based on parameters in the pom descriptor. This way the source
>> NOTICE file remains complete and fully readable even when copied with
>> the source distribution
>>
>> You can find the plugin code here:
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/maven-notice-plugin/trunk/
>>
>> I also created a branch in the HttpClient project to test the plugin. I
>> personally think the project metadata looks cleaner and conciser with
>> all NOTICE and LICENSE specific stuff gone.
>>
>> Please have a look
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/httpclient/branches/notice-plugin-test/
>>
>> And here comes the main question
>>
>> Do we need a formal release vote in order to publish the plugin to the
>> official ASF repository, even though it is not going to be distributed
>> as a source tarball (official ASF release)?
>>

> Folks
>
> If no one responds with an objection, I assume I can proceed with
> deploying the maven plugin to the repository _without_ a formal release
> vote.
>
> Please respond if you see a problem with that.

I know that some projects don't think it's necessary to include
binaries in votes, but in those cases they do still vote on the source
used to create the binaries.

I don't think it's wise to release the binary without a formal vote.
If there is a problem, the RM is personally responsible.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.