Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2008/03/21 18:40:54 UTC

Legal files goo

Thanks to Dan Kulp the new remote-resources bundle consistent with
the apparent policy expressed on legal-discuss on the content of
LICENSE and NOTICE files has been released so I can update the builds
to use them.

I need to know:

- which builds I should update (branches/bigbang? trunk? which
projects?)
- which modules have additional notice requirements beyond the
standard apache notice.  This would typically be because we've copied
over code from some other (probably non-apache) project that has a
NOTICE requirement.

To summarize what we need:
each unit likely to be checked out independently needs a LICENSE and
NOTICE file in svn
everything else (all the maven  generated jars etc) can have a
generated LICENSE and NOTICE file.  The NOTICE file needs to be minimal.

In geronimo I also set up some stuff that made it easier for me to
stage release candidates and maven generated site release
candidates.  I'll look into whether I think this kind of stuff would
be appropriate for apacheds when I look at the legal files setup.

thanks
david jencks

Re: Legal files goo

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
David Jencks wrote:

> So, not adding the apache header seems to be most correct.
Thanks for the clarification, David.

 From the top of my head, when we fixed the BC problem we had (no BC
header at all on those DER files), we simply decided to replace the ASF
header by the BC header after having checks that it was the path to
follow. But as it was done one year ago...

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Legal files goo

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Mar 21, 2008, at 3:38 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:
>>

>> I think we should consider adding the apache header in addition.
> Well, we discussed about that a while ago, but these are really BC
> files, blindly copied. They don't even have been modified.
>
> Second, we intend to completely remove those guys and replace them
> with our own implementation.
>
> In the meantime, do you think it's mandatory to add the Apache
> header  ?

I did a little research on the legal-discuss list and found this from
Cliff from Oct 26 2006:

The license header should not be placed in files that are not
contributed directly to the ASF by the author/copyright owner/owner's
agent.  We call such files that are not directly submitted to the ASF,
"third-party works".  We should never alter or add anything to the
copyright or licensing statements for such third-party works.

You are right to reference such third-party licenses in the LICENSE
file.  You are only required to reference them in the NOTICE file if
the third-party work requires some form of attribution when the work
is distributed.

Re: Legal files goo

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: Legal files goo

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Mar 21, 2008, at 2:32 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:
>> Shared notes..
>>
>> asn1 claims to have bouncy castle code in it.  There are some
>> files without apache license headers but I don't see any
>> indication on any of the files I looked at that they might have
>> come from bouncy castle.  I think all the files need apache
>> headers.  I'd be happier if the bc files had some indication of
>> that even though the bc originals don't.
> asn1 contains copy of BC code. All the DER classes are BC based.
> This is why we have this claim.

I'm not sure what I was looking at previously, I thought some of the
files had no license header whatsoever.  I can't find these any
more.  Now it looks to me as if all the der files have the BC license
at the top.

Re: Legal files goo

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: Legal files goo

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
Shared notes..

asn1 claims to have bouncy castle code in it.  There are some files
without apache license headers but I don't see any indication on any
of the files I looked at that they might have come from bouncy
castle.  I think all the files need apache headers.  I'd be happier
if the bc files had some indication of that even though the bc
originals don't.

My interpretation of the bc license is that we just need to include
the license in LICENSE and no other notice is required.  I'm asking
the on the geronimo list about other opinions.

-------------

I will tackle installers another day...  IIUC I only need to worry
about apacheds/branches/bigbang, shared/branches/bigbang, installers/
branches/bigbang, and project/branches/bigbang

thanks
david jencks

Re: Legal files goo

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.