Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Stuart Gall <st...@otenet.gr> on 2004/10/06 19:48:48 UTC

SPF Records

Hello,
Does SA 3.0.0 check for the presence of the SPF record in the DNS of
the originating domain ?

I read that 21,000 domains now use an SPF record, so we should be
checking for it right?

Stuart Gall
------------------------------------
Klien bottle for rent
Enquire within.
------------------------------------

Re: SPF Records

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 08:48:48PM +0300, Stuart Gall wrote:
> Does SA 3.0.0 check for the presence of the SPF record in the DNS of
> the originating domain ?

If you have Net::DNS installed and the plugin loaded (it is by default).

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"A: You mean it's not due on Friday?

Re: SPF Records

Posted by Vivek Khera <vi...@khera.org>.
On Oct 6, 2004, at 4:03 PM, Wess Bechard wrote:

>  Is there an SA rule to decrease valid SPF mail server's scores yet?

I think it does something like -0.001 points.  and that's about all it
should ever do. check the archives for massive discussion both here and
in the SPF lists, I'm sure.

SPF is not an anti-spam tool, it is an anti-spoofing tool.  Spammers
can and do have valid SPF records.  What you want, if anything, is to
penalize SPF failures as spoofs.

Vivek Khera, Ph.D.
+1-301-869-4449 x806

Re: SPF Records

Posted by Wess Bechard <sp...@eliquid.com>.

Re: SPF Records

Re: SPF Records

Posted by "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <da...@prime.gushi.org>.
On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Stuart Gall wrote:

> Hello,
> Does SA 3.0.0 check for the presence of the SPF record in the DNS of the
> originating domain ?
>
> I read that 21,000 domains now use an SPF record, so we should be checking
> for it right?

Out of how many domains total?  The numbers impressive.  The percentage
isn't.

-Dan

--

Amerikanskaya firma Transceptor Technology pristupila k poizvodstu komputerov "Personal'ni Sputnik"

--Snap, "The Power"

Posted by j o a r <jo...@joar.com>.
On 2004-10-06, at 19.48, Stuart Gall wrote:

> I read that 21,000 domains now use an SPF record, so we should be
> checking for it right?

The numbers are far greater than that. You can check the statistics of
domains that use SPF and that have manually registered that they do
here:

<http://spftools.infinitepenguins.net/register.php>

I would bet that the number of domains using SPF but not bothering to
register would be even greater.

j o a r

RE: SPF Records

Posted by kaiser suse <ei...@mainphrame.com>.
Dave Duffner - NWCWEB.com said:

> 	Last we heard from this (or another, poss. MailScanner) List
> was that SPF's are now a dead issue.  Some locations are using it
> and trying to keep it alive, but even MicroWreck backed off their
> stance in supporting it.

Quite mistaken, the attempt by microsoft to hijack the standard failed,
and SPF is alive and well, in it's original form, sans the
patent-encumbered microsoft xml extentions.

RE: SPF Records

Posted by David Brodbeck <gu...@gull.us>.
On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 14:00:19 -0400, Dave Duffner - NWCWEB.com wrote
> 	Last we heard from this (or another, poss. MailScanner) List
> was that SPF's are now a dead issue.  Some locations are using it
> and trying to keep it alive, but even MicroWreck backed off their
> stance in supporting it.

What I heard was that discussions broke down over Microsoft's patent licensing
terms, which were incompatible with most open-source licenses.  While their
patent doesn't cover SPF itself, it covers some other related things they
wanted included in the standard.

Development seems to be continuing independently.  If you want to follow along
you may want to subscribe to the spf-discuss mailing list.

Re: SPF Records

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 02:00:19PM -0400, Dave Duffner - NWCWEB.com wrote:
> 	Last we heard from this (or another, poss. MailScanner) List
> was that SPF's are now a dead issue.  Some locations are using it
> and trying to keep it alive, but even MicroWreck backed off their
> stance in supporting it.

SPF != SenderID

SPF is still alive and doing well, lots of well-known domains support it.

SenderID (the SPF/MS "next generation" bit) is in question, but is very
likely not going to go anywhere now IMO.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"The Beatles used more hair products then Jesus."   - Rusty McGee

RE: SPF Records

Posted by "Dave Duffner - NWCWEB.com" <we...@nwcweb.com>.

	Great idea, some flaws to be worked out, totally abandoned.
Nothing new for anything related to MS.

	Apparently not even worth the effort to turn on/code in or
the milliseconds of processor time.  Rather pathetic, looked like
a reasonable baseline solution.

      David J. Duffner
      VP Operations
      NWC Corporation
      NWCWEB.com

NWCWEB.com - Your Design & Hosting Solution!
Featuring Ensim Pro/Linux Servers, Hosted
Accounts, Web Design and e-Commerce services
NWC Corporation - Global e-Pay Solutions

Message scanned by MailScanner, and is believed to be clean.
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This transmission intended for the
specified destination and person.  If this is not you, this
e-mail must be deleted immediately.     www.nwcweb.com