Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Rajiv Mordani <mo...@chinet.com> on 1999/11/12 06:58:33 UTC

Re: Query - Tomat - Jserv.

A couple of days back a mail was sent out on how to do this. I didn't try
that but I got it to work in a slightly different way thanks to Costin who
told me how to go about it.. Costin correct me if I am wrong here..
So if nothing else that is simpler works try the following steps:

Right now you can run tomcat with Apache usig ajp11 ( that was used with
Jserv) or ajp12. I used the ajp11 so I downloaded Jserv 1.0 ( and not
1.1b3) and installed that to get the adapter / connector.

Went to the <jserv-directory>/conf and modified the mod_jserv.conf as
follows -

Change the value of ApJservManual to "on" (default is off)

Add the mapping for the directories that need to be redirected to the
servlet engine.

For e.g ApJservMount /examples /root to map all the jsp and servlets e.g to
redirect to the tomcat engine. Where root is the servlet zone as defined in
the jserv.properties.

and I don't know if this is necessary but I also put

ApJservAction .jsp org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet

In the apache conf directory modify the httpd.conf to include
mod_jserv.conf i.e. in

<apachedir>/conf/httpd.conf add a line

include <jsevdir>/conf/mod_jserv.conf

Now start apache and you also need to start tomcat. (ApJservManual set to
on). Tomcat is configured already to work with this setup. The auto startup
is currently being worked on. Let me know if you have any problems.

- mode

Harindranath Nair wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I read that Tomcat is intended to be the successor to jserv.
> I have downloaded and built tomcat and I am able to run it in
> standalone mode.
> Can I use this build to replace jserv? If so could someone help
> me with instructions.
>
> TIA.
> Ragards,
> Hari.

  UNIX _is_ user friendly,
  he's just very picky about who his friends are.

Re: Query - Tomat - Jserv.

Posted by Mike Engelhart <me...@earthtrip.com>.
This brings up a question for me.   Is tomcat designed to be a web server
AND servlet engine or is the web server more like the JSWDK 1.01 release
where the server (i.e., static pages, etc) is relatively slow and not
designed to handle large numbers of concurrent users.  I plan on using
Apache with Tomcat but wasn't sure if Tomcat was going in the direction of
something like Jigsaw.

Thanks for any insight.

Mike