Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2011/01/16 23:52:24 UTC

Using Aether from plugins?

I was surprised to read this:

http://www.sonatype.com/people/2011/01/how-to-use-aether-in-maven-plugins/

Especially in context of the first two paragraphs of this:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/maven-dev/201008.mbox/%3CB00D71D7-8A8E-4DB2-BB99-725BF0F01816@apache.org%3E

As far as I know, there is no guarantees of the stability of the Aether API across versions, and for that reason it was not going to be recommended for plugin developers to use. That seemed like a wise decision given that Aether is still evolving, and seems to have some clear goals to change to align to other repositories in the future.

Benjamin, since it's your blog post, maybe you can clarify your thoughts on the subject?

- Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org

Re: Using Aether from plugins?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Jan 16, 2011, at 5:52 PM, Brett Porter wrote:

> I was surprised to read this:
>
> http://www.sonatype.com/people/2011/01/how-to-use-aether-in-maven-plugins/
>
> Especially in context of the first two paragraphs of this:
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/maven-dev/201008.mbox/%3CB00D71D7-8A8E-4DB2-BB99-725BF0F01816@apache.org%3E

My concerns were met, the API did not change at all for plugin developers. The API didn't leak and plugin developers are not affected. Write a plugin today just like you did 2 years ago. As I also said some attempts will likely be made to use the API directly, and we want people to try the API. That's not a bad thing. If we yanked the existing plugin API out from under people and said you can only use Aether then my concerns would not have been met. This is not the case.

> As far as I know, there is no guarantees of the stability of the Aether API across versions, and for that reason it was not going to be recommended for plugin developers to use. That seemed like a wise decision given that Aether is still evolving, and seems to have some clear goals to change to align to other repositories in the future.
>
> Benjamin, since it's your blog post, maybe you can clarify your thoughts on the subject?
>
> - Brett
>
> --
> Brett Porter
> brett@apache.org
> http://brettporter.wordpress.com/
> http://au.linkedin.com/in/brettporter

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

A language that doesn’t affect the way you think about programming is not worth knowing.

 -— Alan Perlis