Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Wouter Cloetens <wc...@raleigh.ibm.com> on 2000/08/03 18:32:33 UTC

Re: Soap Vs Corba and MS-Soap

On Thu, 3 Aug 2000 21:46:34 -0400, Cory Isaacson wrote:

>I have the same question about CORBA, or more specifically about EJB. It
>seems to me that SOAP is a much better way to go, even if initially it
>doesn't perform quite as well. Is it workable?

The way I see it, SOAP isn't anywhere near the functionality of CORBA/EJBs at this time,
and it's certainly much less bandwith-efficient. But it's a lot simpler and it'll work over
HTTP and other transport mechanisms that couldn't support CORBA properly...

>Also, I had asked a question earlier which I never received a reply on. Can
>the Apache version of SOAP support multiple record body content? I read
>something in the doc about arrays not being supported in this release, but
>I'm not sure if that rules this out or not.

Yes, Apache-SOAP supports (one-dimensional only) arrays of complex objects. Try to
make a bean with a few values in it, register its class in the soapmappingregistry and the
deployment descriptor with the beanserializer as its serialiser and deserialiser, and
send through an array of instances of that bean class.

bfn, Wouter
--
http://www.workspot.net/~zombie/soap/
My opinions are irrelevant. They will be assimilated by my employer.

Re: Soap Vs Corba and MS-Soap

Posted by George I Matkovits <ma...@uswest.net>.
Soap is NOT transactional like the other protocols (-.

Re: Soap Vs Corba and MS-Soap

Posted by George I Matkovits <ma...@uswest.net>.