Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Adam Estrada <es...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/06 05:36:01 UTC

[Solr4.0] Release Date

I know this is a bit premature but does anyone have an anticipated release
date for Solr4.0? I looked at Jira and there are still quite a few
unresolved issues in there. Do we think it will be spring, summer or fall
for this release?

Thanks,
Adam

Re: [Solr4.0] Release Date

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hey Adam,

The Solr/Lucene people decided that with versions post the Solr/Lucene merge that they would sync the Solr version with the Lucene version (meaning there is no 1.5 release or plans for it, which IMHO as I noted before is confusing). Here's a pointer to a former discussion thread about this:

http://s.apache.org/J6n

HTH,
Chris

On Jan 6, 2011, at 6:20 AM, Estrada Groups wrote:

> Thanks Grant! Ridiculous question #2. What is the difference between 3.1 and 4.0? I am very confused about this...
>
> Adam
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jan 6, 2011, at 8:15 AM, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> I think 3.1 will be next, but I don't see a date yet.  I would hope sometime soon, but I haven't checked the outstanding issues recently.
>>

>> On Jan 5, 2011, at 11:36 PM, Adam Estrada wrote:
>>
>>> I know this is a bit premature but does anyone have an anticipated release
>>> date for Solr4.0? I looked at Jira and there are still quite a few
>>> unresolved issues in there. Do we think it will be spring, summer or fall
>>> for this release?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Adam
>>
>> --------------------------
>> Grant Ingersoll
>> http://www.lucidimagination.com

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Re: [Solr4.0] Release Date

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 9:20 AM, Estrada Groups
<es...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Grant! Ridiculous question #2. What is the difference between 3.1 and 4.0? I am very confused about this...

Hopefully this will help:

3.1 is a minor release from Lucene 3.0. It contains new features and
API stability from Lucene 3.0. So if you have a complicated
application with custom components, this is probably a good choice.
Just looking at Solr's CHANGES.txt, examples of features added to 3.1
are things like auto-suggest, spatial distance functions, extended
dismax parser, performance improvements, etc.

4.0 is a major release, containing more radical changes: as a result
some APIs have changed in a backwards-incompatible way. There is a
migration guide you can follow, but there might be some degree of work
to upgrade your application. Looking at its CHANGES.txt, examples of
features only available in 4.0 at the moment are things like flexible
indexing, field collapsing, solr cloud, etc. (This is just a snapshot
of how things look right now, someone could backport some of this
stuff to 3.1 if they felt it was safe)

Re: [Solr4.0] Release Date

Posted by Estrada Groups <es...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Solr4.0] Release Date