Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2016/12/26 15:29:35 UTC

[DISCUSS] Drop the 2013 Alternate Voting Policy

All,

I felt this required a separate discussion.  The incubator maintains
something referred to as the 2013 alternate voting policy.  You can find
the full details starting here:
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases

This policy as far as I can tell has never been used by any podling.  In
addition, it doesn't align to the ASF's policies of releases.  I believe
the problem it was trying to solve was getting binding votes on releases
which has mostly been fixed (release votes would go on for 20+ days back
then).

So I was wondering, is this a policy we want to keep around?

John

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop the 2013 Alternate Voting Policy

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
I've taken a stab at incorporating this sentiment into a new guide I'm
working on, rather than updating the existing release guides.  Explained in
the other email.

Take a look and let me know if you feel I've misstated anything.

John

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
I'd rather not sanctify exceptions with a precise list, but rather stop at:

"During incubation, a podling's release package may not be perfect. It
will be up to mentors and IPMC members
to define the appropriate leeway".

Or something to that extent.

Thanks,
Roman.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 26, 2016 at 9:36 AM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>
wrote:

> > So I was wondering, is this a policy we want to keep around?
>
> +1 to revert.
>
> The language was deliberately crafted as an addendum which would be easy to
> back out.  Ditching it will have no problematic consequences.

Sounds right.

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop the 2013 Alternate Voting Policy

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Dec 31, 2016 at 12:02 AM Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 11:46 AM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > Pssst really need you guys looking at the proposed replacement
> > documentation.
> >

> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/fab8122d7695e47bacbff680b83eb4ceed98539a7815e2232abf5d2f@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E
>
> There's a lot here, and with social obligations of the holiday season,
> I'm having trouble finding the time to review it all. If I may suggest
> an approach, though:

So far, the input received has gone well. I think we're good with the first
step, updating release documentation to remove the duplication.

> For guides, how-to's and the like, it is nice if you summarize changes
> in advance, but we also shouldn't let anything block your way.  The
> Incubator has suffered from a lack of people willing to wade in and
> actually work on documentation -- having you show up to do work is a
> real boon. So if you tell people "I'm going to work on X, and here's
> roughly what I plan", then JFDI so long as you work incrementally and
> reversibly.  People have the option to review your commits.
>
> But for *policy*, specifically the Incubation_Policy.html page, please
> take a different tack.  Any change to that page should be proposed as
> a patch on general@incubator in a thread with a 72 hour minimum review
> period.  Furthermore, please try to make good use of our limited
> capacity for review: endeavor to make clean and minimal proposals,
> avoiding multiple revisions and large, hard-to-digest changesets.
>
> It's important to get the fine details of policy right because even
> minor wording inaccuracies can spawn brutal, bitter disputes.
> Additionally, a deliberate, inclusive drafting and review process is a
> prerequisite for community buy-in, inoculating us against crises of
> legitimacy.
>
> Does that division make sense?  Careful drafting and RTC for policy,
> CTR and a higher tolerance for inaccuracy in guides, FAQs, etc.
>
> One more thing: the Proposal Guide is way more important than all the
> others, so please treat it with care if you do any work there. During
> the crafting of a proposal for incubation, that page has profound
> influence on incoming communities as they think deeply about how their
> project might fit into Apache. (In fact, maybe we should make that
> page RTC...)

May be we should consider calling it the Proposal Policy?  I agree with you
on its importance.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Dec 26, 2016 at 4:29 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...is this a policy we want to keep around?...

I'm fine with removing it - community Darwinism at work ;-)

-Bertrand