Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by "Rory O'Donnell Oracle, Dublin Ireland" <ro...@oracle.com> on 2014/01/03 12:20:41 UTC

Re: JDK 8 Build 121 & JDK 7 Update 60 build 02 are available on java.net

Hi Kristian,

I am following sun bug 9009028,

Rgds,Rory

Posted by dalibor topic <da...@oracle.com>.
Well, looking at
https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-plugins-ITs-m3.1.x-with-maven-plugin-jdk-1.8/34/consoleText
I see

"os.arch=arm"
"sun.arch.abi=gnueabihf"

While https://builds.apache.org/computer/ubuntu1/systemInfo is an amd64
system. ;)

cheers,
dalibor topic

--
<http://www.oracle.com> Dalibor Topic | Principal Product Manager
Phone: +494089091214 <tel:+494089091214> | Mobile: +491737185961

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Kühnehöfe 5 | 22761 Hamburg

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz

Geschäftsführer: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher

<http://www.oracle.com/commitment> Oracle is committed to developing
practices and products that help protect the environment

Re: JDK 8 Build 121 & JDK 7 Update 60 build 02 are available on java.net

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

Posted by dalibor topic <da...@oracle.com>.

Posted by "Rory O'Donnell Oracle, Dublin Ireland" <ro...@oracle.com>.
On 17/01/2014 17:17, Robert Scholte wrote:
> Hi Rory,
>
> I've just submitted the javadoc issue, Bug ID: 9009740
Hi Robert above can be tracked at :

As for the performance issue , we need to compare apples with apples
first, do let
us know if there is still an issue once you have a suitable setup.

Rgds,Rory

   #146 	Jan 12, 2014 9:58:11 PM	 4 MB  1 hr 5 min	ubuntu1
   #142 	Jan 10, 2014 9:44:34 PM	 4 MB  1 hr 2 min	ubuntu3
   #138 	Jan 3, 2014 7:46:49 AM	 4 MB  1 hr 4 min	ubuntu3
   #135 	Jan 2, 2014 12:26:26 PM	 4 MB  1 hr 1 min	ubuntu3
   #134 	Jan 2, 2014 6:46:34 AM	 4 MB  1 hr 24 min	ubuntu3

https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-plugins-ITs-m3.1.x-with-maven-plugin-jdk-1.8/
         #42	3 hr 50 min	ubuntu_ARM_12
	#41	4 min 21 sec	ubuntu_ARM_12
	#40	3 hr 54 min	ubuntu_ARM_12
	#39	4 min 44 sec	ubuntu_ARM_12
	#38	4 min 23 sec	ubuntu_ARM_12
	#37	3 hr 16 min	ubuntu_ARM_12
	#36	3 hr 11 min	ubuntu_ARM_12
	#35	3 hr 17 min	ubuntu_ARM_12
	#34	6 hr 23 min	ubuntu_ARM_12
	#33	3 hr 4 min	ubuntu_ARM_12
	#32	3 hr 10 min	ubuntu_ARM_12
	#31	5 hr 59 min	ubuntu_ARM_12

Some additional info:

Posted by "Rory O'Donnell Oracle, Dublin Ireland" <ro...@oracle.com>.
Thanks Tony, I will update the bug when you send feedback.

Rgds,Rory

Posted by Tony Chemit <tc...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Rory O'Donnell Oracle, Dublin Ireland" <ro...@oracle.com>.
Hi Robert/Tony,

Posted by "Rory O'Donnell Oracle, Dublin Ireland" <ro...@oracle.com>.
Hi Robert,

Posted by "Rory O'Donnell Oracle, Dublin Ireland" <ro...@oracle.com>.
Hi Robert,

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
Hi Rory,

[...]

Posted by "Rory O'Donnell Oracle, Dublin ireland" <ro...@oracle.com>.
Hi Kristian,

Thank you for your comments.

On 01/ 3/14 02:12 PM, Kristian Rosenvold wrote:
> We found the issue already, thanks for the bump in priority !
no problem.
> The jdk issue tracker does not allow us much in the way of features
> (like issue watching !)
Yes, there is room for improvement there. In the mean time Dalibor wrote
in his blog about tracking your issues
In The JDK Bug System: http://robilad.livejournal.com/139637.html

> There is a comment I'd like to make about the issue comment of us
> reporting this issue "6 months ago". 6 months ago was M7, labeled as
> "feature complete" according to the JDK8 plan. Our code base is *huge*
> and there's a fair amount of weird stuff going on, and I think most of
> us on the maven team are reluctant to start testing with something
> that is "just" feature complete.

I think Alan's comment was more wishful thinking, finding bugs early is
in everyone's interest.
> Finding and reporting this *one* issue took quite some effort, since
> we're usually talking about tests written for *other* purposes that
> break; and they break in weird places & highly unexpected manners. So
> realistically we're testing at the earliest level we're comfortable
> with (which I find is M8-ish). Less complex projects are probably a
> bit more risk-willing than us :)
I would love to discuss your testing with you in detail?

> We have quite some momentum in our jdk8 testing now, and there's quite
> a few of us who seem intent on verifying *everything*
> in good time before GA.
Delighted to hear that!

Obviously, the later bugs are found the more likely they will get fixed
in an update release.

> I know I'll be picking up the verification once JDK-8030781
> <https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8030781> gets released into
> a nightly.
Thanks, Rory

--
Rgds,
Rory O'Donnell

Senior Quality Engineering Manager
Java Platform Group
Oracle EMEA , Block P5,
East Point Business Park, Dublin 3
Phone: +353 (0)1 8033887

Re: JDK 8 Build 121 & JDK 7 Update 60 build 02 are available on java.net

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.
We found the issue already, thanks for the bump in priority ! The jdk issue
tracker does not allow us much in the way of features (like issue watching
!)

There is a comment I'd like to make about the issue comment of us reporting
this issue "6 months ago". 6 months ago was M7, labeled as "feature
complete" according to the JDK8 plan. Our code base is *huge* and there's a
fair amount of weird stuff going on, and I think most of us on the maven
team are reluctant to start testing with something that is "just" feature
complete.

Finding and reporting this *one* issue took quite some effort, since we're
usually talking about tests written for *other* purposes that break; and
they break in weird places & highly unexpected manners. So realistically
we're testing at the earliest level we're comfortable with (which I find is
M8-ish). Less complex projects are probably a bit more risk-willing than us
:)

We have quite some momentum in our jdk8 testing now, and there's quite a
few of us who seem intent on verifying *everything*
in good time before GA. I know I'll be picking up the verification once