Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/06 12:23:58 UTC

[smtp] Handler Configuration...?

the services exposed through SMTPHandlerConfigurationData are now injected :-)

all that's left is a simple POJO so i was wondering whether it might
be worthwhile renaming to SMTPConfiguration and replacing the current
interface with an immutable POJO. i agree with your point that the
configuration methods i moved to SMTPSession don't really fit too well
and should be moved probably by injecting the configuration. which
brings us to configuration.

ATM those handlers which need configuration either call the
SMTPSession or implement Configurable. i would prefer to move away
from the Avalon coupling for handlers but i'm not sure the best way
forward.

opinions?

- robert

Re: [smtp] Handler Configuration...?

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
I will add it to my todo list..

Enjoy the rest of the day;)

Bye,
Norman

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Comments inline...

2009/9/6 Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>:
> the services exposed through SMTPHandlerConfigurationData are now injected :-)
>
> all that's left is a simple POJO so i was wondering whether it might
> be worthwhile renaming to SMTPConfiguration and replacing the current
> interface with an immutable POJO. i agree with your point that the
> configuration methods i moved to SMTPSession don't really fit too well
> and should be moved probably by injecting the configuration. which
> brings us to configuration.

+1, There is no need for this interface anymore..

> ATM those handlers which need configuration either call the
> SMTPSession or implement Configurable. i would prefer to move away
> from the Avalon coupling for handlers but i'm not sure the best way
> forward.

+1 Move away from Avalon is the right choice. Why not inject a
CommonsConfiguration object and use this as configuration. We could
prolly build and Adapter which adapt a Avalon Configuration object to
Commons Configuration object. So we could at least elimate any Avalon
dependency in the handlers and hooks..

> opinions?
>
> - robert

Bye,