Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by cm...@yahoo.com on 2001/01/19 17:05:12 UTC

Call for volunteers

Hi,

As you know, a number of people expressed interest on releasing a new dot
version of tomcat3. They believe that the changes made so far to the main
branch are making the code more maintainable and faster than 3.2.

This cannot happen without your help.

Before making an official proposal and asking for a vote, I need to have
an idea about how much help can I get from tomcat commiters, non-commiters
and users.

Help is needed in the following areas:

1. Bug fixes. At least 3 commiters will volunteer to integrate the patches
that are sent and do fixes them-self.

2. Bug reports/verification: we have a large number of bug reports,
most of them against previous versions of tomcat. We need people to look
at the bugs, try to reproduce them in the proposed 3.3, try to fix
them. If possible, we need a simple reproduction code that can be added to
the regression suite.

3. Code review/Documentation: The code is not perfect, but it should do
its job. Reading the tomcat.core and making sure it's ok is essential.

4. Testing/Building/mod_jk: If you use tomcat with a web server, we need
help making sure it works fine and eventually getting a compiled version
of mod_jk for your platform ( if you use a "special" OS or configuration ).

5. Testing your application with tomcat :-) ( this is probably a better
and more important test than our regression )

6. Jasper: making sure the bugs are integrated and the interceptor works
as expected, instead of just being faster.

7. User support/documentation: If you managed to get tomcat3 working, you
may be able to help others and reduce the load on commiters.

If you are a user of tomcat 3.2 or embed tomcat 3.2 in your applications,
this is a chance to turn into a contributor and then commiter.

The help can range from downloading a milestone and running the provided
regression tests on your platform, writing simple fixes for the problems
that bother you, just looking at the source code and sending feedback or
small documentation, testing you favorite web application and making sure
it'll still work fine.

Based on the response I get on this mail during the next few days I'll
decide if I go ahead and make the proposal.

This is not an "official" vote - just a show of hands to help the
commiters that will vote +1 get an idea about how much help they can
expect ( and maybe change their vote :-).

Any help is important - and there are many ways you can do it.

This mail doesn't "commit" yourself to anything - I'm asking for your
intention to help and what would you like to help with.

--
Costin

Re: Call for volunteers

Posted by Rolf Veen <ro...@helide.com>.
Hi, Costin.

As a user I will do 5, including mod_jk (platform: Linux).

Kind regards.
Rolf.

Bug with mod_jk and Tomcat?

Posted by Filip Hanik <fi...@filip.net>.
Dear Tomcat developers,

We are using Tomcat/Apache with mod_jk.

Apache (1.3.14) is running mod_ssl (2.7.1-1.3.14) with OpenSSL (0.9.6).
Tomcat 3.2.1
When a servlet is requested under
https://www.mydomain.com:8888/test/MyServlet
and the servlet does a simple
response.sendRedirect("loginfailed.html");

this makes the browser request
http://www.mydomain.com:8888/test/loginfailed.html

At this point Apache complains since the browser is trying to speak HTTP to
an HTTPS enabled port. We are also missing all the URL information that you
normally get from the Sevlet request, like getPathURI etc
any idea why this is happening?

Filip
~
Namaste - I bow to the divine in you.
~
Filip Hanik
Technical Architect
filip@filip.net

> 6. Jasper: making sure the bugs are integrated and the interceptor works
> as expected, instead of just being faster.

I can review and fix bugs here. Don't have time for anything else.

--
Peace, Anil +<:-)

Re: Call for volunteers

Posted by Anil Vijendran <An...@eng.sun.com>.

Re: Call for volunteers

Posted by Alex Chaffee <gu...@stinky.com>.
+1

I'm using Tomcat 3.2 on several production sites and I'm not ready to
switch to 4.x yet.

I'm sorry I haven't had the time to contribute like I did last summer,
but I'll see if I can scrounge up some non-billable hours.  At any
rate, I can definitely help with app testing, and hopefully with code
review.

 - A

Re: Call for volunteers

Posted by Todd Selden <ts...@synopsys.com>.
Hi Costin,

As a user of Tomcat3,  I will be doing 3 & 5.

thanks for your efforts,

Todd Selden
Software Engineer
Synopsys, Inc.

Re: Call for volunteers

Posted by Christopher Cain <cc...@mhsoftware.com>.
Hi Costin. I will definitely help in the documentation area, and will
probably assist with bug verification/tracking (if time permits).

> 3. Code review/Documentation: The code is not perfect, but it should do
> its job. Reading the tomcat.core and making sure it's ok is essential.

I will write up some tech docs on the code as I review it (all aspects
including the core).

> 5. Testing your application with tomcat :-)

Absolutely =)

> 7. User support/documentation: If you managed to get tomcat3 working, you
> may be able to help others and reduce the load on commiters.

I will also put together some user docs on whatever you think is most
needed.

Re: Call for volunteers

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <du...@x180.net>.
On 1/19/01 12:17 PM, "Hans Bergsten" <ha...@gefionsoftware.com> wrote:

> Based on the number of answers I've seen so far, I assume that
> it will be put up for a vote soon. I ask, however, that you
> wait with that until we have an agreement on how to interpret
> our decision guidelines (or amend them if needed) for a vote
> on a Release Plan. I want to avoid a "Florida recount situation",
> where the rules are being made up while the votes are counted ;-)

Agreed. I don't want to debate about hanging chads.

                                                                  !try; do()

Re: Call for volunteers

Posted by Hans Bergsten <ha...@gefionsoftware.com>.
cmanolache@yahoo.com wrote:
> [...]
> This mail doesn't "commit" yourself to anything - I'm asking for your
> intention to help and what would you like to help with.

I think this is a great way to get a feel for the amount of
support before putting it up for a formal vote.

Based on the number of answers I've seen so far, I assume that
it will be put up for a vote soon. I ask, however, that you
wait with that until we have an agreement on how to interpret
our decision guidelines (or amend them if needed) for a vote
on a Release Plan. I want to avoid a "Florida recount situation",
where the rules are being made up while the votes are counted ;-)

There's a thread with the subject "Release voting rules" on the
General list. I ask that all Committers, especially PMC members,
join the discussion there so that we can get this clarified ASAP
and move on.

Hans
--
Hans Bergsten		hans@gefionsoftware.com
Author of JavaServer Pages (O'Reilly), http://TheJSPBook.com

Re: Call for volunteers

Posted by Dan Milstein <da...@shore.net>.
Costin,

Although I don't think I'll have enough time to reproduce and fix general bugs which have been submitted, I will happily commit to working on any mod_jk / ajp13 issues which come up.  In other words, I don't think I can be part of the core "release team", but I will definitely contribute whatever expertise I have in the connector area.

-Dan

--

Dan Milstein // danmil@shore.net

Re: Call for volunteers

Posted by Alex Fernández <af...@tid.es>.
I'd like to review code, if only to understand the inner workings in Tomcat.
Of course, I'd like to test our application -- it's a load tester, so
performance is critical.

Cheers,

Alex.

RE: Call for volunteers

Posted by Paulo Gaspar <pa...@krankikom.de>.

Re: Call for volunteers

Posted by Brad Cox <bc...@virtualschool.edu>.
I'd be glad to help with the servlet engine code.

At 5:31 PM +0000 01/19/2001, Andrea Barbieri wrote:
>Ciao a tutti, hi to you Costin:
>
>i can help for points
>
>>3. Code review/Documentation: The code is not perfect, but it should do
>>its job. Reading the tomcat.core and making sure it's ok is essential.
>>
>>5. Testing your application with tomcat :-) ( this is probably a better
>>and more important test than our regression )
>
>enjoy
>Andrea Barbieri

---
Dr. Brad Cox; bcox@superdistributed.com
Phone: 703 361 4751 Fax: 703 995 0422 Cellular: 703 919-9623
http://superdistributed.com: A new paradigm for a new millinneum
PGP Signature: E194 C6E5 92D8 B8FB 20E8  8667 929A 95A0 FCB6 7C62

Re: Call for volunteers

Posted by Andrea Barbieri <ab...@intelcom.sm>.
Ciao a tutti, hi to you Costin:

i can help for points