Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Andreas Guther <an...@netfuel.com> on 2001/12/21 19:20:19 UTC

Expanding properties with -projecthelp

I noticed that listing the available targets with "ant -projecthelp"
does not expand properties embedded in the description of the target.

So for example it displays one tag as

cvs.tag.build           Tags the build with ${build.tag}

I think it would be nice to give more detailed information on the
specific tag according to the current settings together with the
-projecthelp.

Is there a way to make Ant first parse the properties before it
displays the tag description?

Andreas

Andreas Guther                                                 NetFuel,
Inc
http://www.netfuel.com/contact/

Re: Expanding properties with -projecthelp

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 22 Dec 2001 05:20, Andreas Guther wrote:
> I noticed that listing the available targets with "ant -projecthelp"
> does not expand properties embedded in the description of the target.
>
> So for example it displays one tag as
>
> cvs.tag.build           Tags the build with ${build.tag}
>
> I think it would be nice to give more detailed information on the
> specific tag according to the current settings together with the
> -projecthelp.
>
> Is there a way to make Ant first parse the properties before it
> displays the tag description?

No. And it has been rejected as a change a few times. Because top level tasks
can have side-effects and can also fail this would cause the -projecthelp arg
to have sideeffects and fail which was deemed undesirable.

--
Cheers,

Pete