Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jonathan Nichols <jn...@pbp.net> on 2007/06/19 02:38:05 UTC

Folks using amavisd-new and SA...

Just a quick question to those that are using those two together.

I have:
$max_servers  = 10;
$max_requests = 15;

in amavisd.conf.

But the box's load average seems to be hovering around 2.00 all the
time. Sometimes a little lower, sometimes higher.

Quax 500mhz Xeon, ultra 160gb disks, 1gb RAM. It's a PowerEdge 6350.

What do you guys have set for max_servers & stuff and what kind of
hardware? What kind of performance are you seeing?

And how well have you found amavisd-new, postfix and SpamAssassin to
interact?

(note: please don't tell me to switch to mailscanner yet. hah.)
This setup has been working well for quite a while but I'm almost
wondering if it's time to upgrade.

Has greylisting helped you out at all?

Thanks!
--
Jonathan

Re: Folks using amavisd-new and SA...

Posted by Derek Harding <de...@innovyx.com>.
On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 17:38 -0700, Jonathan Nichols wrote:
> Just a quick question to those that are using those two together.
>
> I have:
> $max_servers  = 10;
> $max_requests = 15;
>
> in amavisd.conf.
>
> But the box's load average seems to be hovering around 2.00 all the
> time. Sometimes a little lower, sometimes higher.

Make sure your Postfix config allows 10 concurrent connections
(master.cf):

smtp-amavis unix -      -       n     -       10  smtp

If that 10 is a 2 that's the problem.

> What do you guys have set for max_servers & stuff and what kind of
> hardware? What kind of performance are you seeing?

I have it set at 2 for a hobby server and 4 for a low-load server.

> And how well have you found amavisd-new, postfix and SpamAssassin to
> interact?

Been running great for me for a few years.

> Has greylisting helped you out at all?

Yep, if your users will put up with the delay.

Derek

RE: Folks using amavisd-new and SA...

Posted by Gary V <mr...@hotmail.com>.
>Just a quick question to those that are using those two together.
>
>I have:
>$max_servers  = 10;
>$max_requests = 15;
>
>in amavisd.conf.
>
>But the box's load average seems to be hovering around 2.00 all the time.
>Sometimes a little lower, sometimes higher.

That is low for a quad CPU system. You want to keep load under 2.00 *per
CPU*.

>Quax 500mhz Xeon, ultra 160gb disks, 1gb RAM. It's a PowerEdge 6350.
>
>What do you guys have set for max_servers & stuff and what kind of
>hardware? What kind of performance are you seeing?

Question: how many messages per day pass through SpamAssassin?

>And how well have you found amavisd-new, postfix and SpamAssassin to
>interact?

Excellent.

>(note: please don't tell me to switch to mailscanner yet. hah.)

I never would.

>This setup has been working well for quite a while but I'm almost wondering
>if it's time to upgrade.

Question: on average how long does it take amavisd-new/SpamAssassin to
process a message?

>Has greylisting helped you out at all?

It can make a hugh difference. If you decide to go with it you should look
at some form of selective greylisting. I also use a short (59 second) delay.

>Thanks!
>--
>Jonathan

Don’t miss your chance to WIN $10,000 and other great prizes from Microsoft
Office Live http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0540003042mrt/direct/01/