Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by solenweg <da...@hotmail.com> on 2009/07/09 12:51:04 UTC

Search results depending on search word length?

New to solr so maybe it's studip question, but here we go:

I've got a long title name like "thisisaverylongtesttitle" and is then doing
a search for "thisisavery" but with no results. I can with a search for
"thisisaverylongtit" get the result. But why not with a shorter search
criteria? Is there a limit somewhere in the config?

Tried using the star operator and that helps, and I get the correct results
back. But then the score is messed up (always 100%). Can you change this so
that it keeps its score despite of the star operator, could this be a way to
go. But how?

Anyone?

Re: Search results depending on search word length?

Posted by solenweg <da...@hotmail.com>.
Just an extra comment in context with this issue: Maybe there is a way to set
the search criteria a little "looser" - meaning it doesn't have to contain
so big a correct percentage of the real name/title. Or am I way off?

Re: Search results depending on search word length?

Posted by Jeff Newburn <jn...@zappos.com>.
I am guessing that the field is actually just a string or a really long
word.  Solr looks for occurrences of the term/token.  It does not however
search within a given token without the *.  So in your example the system
will not match thisisavery with thisisaverylongtesttitle even though they
have the same starting letters unless you use the * to tell it to.

One option you could explore is the spellchecking option.  It takes your
query and "spellchecks" it against a set of words from fields you designate.
If they get close then it may be smart enough to pick up the words they are
trying to use.

--
Jeff Newburn
Software Engineer, Zappos.com