Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Bo Sun <do...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/29 09:18:19 UTC

Payload size exception

hi all
i've got a exception .
kafka.common.MessageSizeTooLargeException: payload size of 1772597 larger
than 1000000
        at
kafka.message.ByteBufferMessageSet.verifyMessageSize(ByteBufferMessageSet.scala:93)
        at kafka.producer.SyncProducer.send(SyncProducer.scala:122)
        at
kafka.producer.ProducerPool$$anonfun$send$1.apply$mcVI$sp(ProducerPool.scala:114)
        at
kafka.producer.ProducerPool$$anonfun$send$1.apply(ProducerPool.scala:100)
        at
kafka.producer.ProducerPool$$anonfun$send$1.apply(ProducerPool.scala:100)
        at
scala.collection.mutable.ResizableArray$class.foreach(ResizableArray.scala:57)
        at
scala.collection.mutable.ArrayBuffer.foreach(ArrayBuffer.scala:43)
        at kafka.producer.ProducerPool.send(ProducerPool.scala:100)
        at kafka.producer.Producer.zkSend(Producer.scala:140)
        at kafka.producer.Producer.send(Producer.scala:99)
        at kafka.javaapi.producer.Producer.send(Producer.scala:103)

i dont know why. plz help me .thanks

Re: Payload size exception

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.
Ack, right you are Neha, my bad.

WRT to how to set the maximum there are two considerations:
1. It should be smaller then the fetch size your consumers use
2. Messages are fully instantiated in memory so obscenely large messages
(say hundreds of mb) will cause a lot of memory allocation churn/problems.

-Jay

Re: Payload size exception

Posted by S Ahmed <sa...@gmail.com>.
Ok so it might be an issue somewhere in the pipeline (I'm guessing memory
issues?).

They are xml files, and that 30-100 was uncompressed.

Re: Payload size exception

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com>.

Re: Payload size exception

Posted by Xavier Stevens <xs...@mozilla.com>.
Not quite in production yet, but we have payloads in the 30KB+ range. I
just added a
max.message.size to the broker's server.properties.

-Xavier

Re: Payload size exception

Posted by S Ahmed <sa...@gmail.com>.
Neha/Jay,

Re: Payload size exception

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com>.

Re: Payload size exception

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.
There is a setting that controls the maximum message size. This is to
ensure the messages can be read on the server and by all consumers without
running out of memory or exceeding the consumer fetch size. In 0.7.x this