Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org> on 2006/01/20 20:52:35 UTC

[Vote] Release assembly plugin 2.0.1

Hi,

I'd like to make a release of the assembly plugin 2.0.1. It's a branch
from 2.0 with only three major bugfixes.

- assembly jar-with-dependencies does not utilize or provide for
manifest configuration
- subsequent assemblies include all files from previous assemblies of
the same type
- Support for multiple assembly descriptors

Changes:
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&pid=11126&fixfor=12290

It'll use the latest plexus-archiver that jason is releasing in this moment.

Regards

Re: [Vote] Release assembly plugin 2.0.1

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
plus one

Re: [result] [Vote] Release assembly plugin 2.0.1

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Most of the fixes were made after large refactoring of the code so were
hard to backport. We picked out ones known to be affecting people.

Normally, we'd have better track of what versions the issues related to,
but since we only split out the JIRA projects recently, we didn't know
which were in 2.0 and which were more recent.

The vote was out for over 72 hours, which is somewhat of a standard
measurement. The only improvement would have been to be more explicit
about the limits of the changes.

The trunk has been at 2.1-SNAPSHOT for quite some time. 2.1 won't be far
off. The issues are now correctly scheduled.

- Brett

Posted by jerome lacoste <je...@gmail.com>.
On 1/27/06, Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org> wrote:
> see below
>
> On 1/27/06, jerome lacoste <je...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 1/27/06, Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org> wrote:
> > > As I said in the vote only three bugfixes were into 2.0.1 to make it
> > > more stable and prevent new funtionality that could bring new bugs.
> >
> > My bad for not reading your original mail. I was particularly
> > surprised, in particular because of MASSEMBLY-19. It was a one line
> > fix, that I reported as critical. Surprisingly it wasn't considered
> > for 2.0 and I didn't expect it to miss 2.0.1.
>

> I took 2.0 code and made a branch fixed the issues I needed at the
> moment. I expected that if somebody would like to have another bug
> fixed would talk during the vote

[...]

> I think it's a good idea if you want other bug fixes, to apply them to
> the 2.0.x branch and update jira with the fix version. We can call a
> vote for 2.0.2 after.

I will come back to the process issues in another thread, because I
still think there something to do there.

But in the mean time the latest stable assembly is broken for me (it
doesn't work on multi-projects).

So I would recommend a new release ASAP, with at least MASSEMBLY-19 in
it. The patch is a one liner, so it should apply as is on the branch.

And there's not much I can do to make this happen. So it's up to you
guys. Feel free to add other fixes. Let me know is this is going to
happen or not and if this is going to take 72 hours as well :)

Jerome

Re: [result] [Vote] Release assembly plugin 2.0.1

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
see below

On 1/27/06, jerome lacoste <je...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/27/06, Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org> wrote:
> > As I said in the vote only three bugfixes were into 2.0.1 to make it
> > more stable and prevent new funtionality that could bring new bugs.
>
> My bad for not reading your original mail. I was particularly
> surprised, in particular because of MASSEMBLY-19. It was a one line
> fix, that I reported as critical. Surprisingly it wasn't considered
> for 2.0 and I didn't expect it to miss 2.0.1.

I took 2.0 code and made a branch fixed the issues I needed at the
moment. I expected that if somebody would like to have another bug
fixed would talk during the vote

> It's also confusing because I've had this issue fixed in my local
> install under the 2.0.1-SNAPSHOT release name. So it became obvious
> for me that the issue would be in 2.0.1.

trunk is always set to the next release (2.1-SNAPSHOT), maybe it was
at some point set to 2.0.1 by mistake when you built it. Anyway you
would get the newer snapshot from the repo.

> I believe it's the reporter's job to make sure the developers are not
> missing something important. Unfortunately, if the voting decision is
> taken too quickly on the developer list, it's hard for a reporter to
> stay up to date!

I think this one was clear, "only three bugfixes will be applied". I
know that there's a lot of traffic in the mailing list, me for
instance, I prefer not voting if I'm not really confident, eg plugins
i don't use.

> There are potentially 2 process issues:
> 1- the trunk was branched, but the pom version still indicated
> 2.0.1-SNAPSHOT. It should maybe have indicated 2.1-SNAPSHOT.
> 2- the reporters had little chance of raising their voices.

as i said before trunk was 2.1-SNAPSHOT and has been like that since
2.0 was released

> Regarding 2), what about using a 'future' release number in Jira to
> make sure every issue is at least targeted to a particular release?
> Before planning a release, the release manager must make sure each
> reported issue has a target version. The reporter would receive a mail
> and may react upon it.

I think this is now improved having a jira project per plugin so we
can take a clear look to what goes in each revision. Unfortunately
there're still several issues fixed in 2.1-SNAPSHOT that don't have a
fix version, and that'll be still a problem till 2.1 is released

Posted by jerome lacoste <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by dan tran <da...@gmail.com>.
OK, our fault that we did not read the vote carefully, but what good does it
get to release
a 3 bug fixes after 4 months of waiting.  We have lots of people using the
assembly plugins using snapshot
And I beleive it is stable.

-D

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by jerome lacoste <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by jerome lacoste <je...@gmail.com>.
On 1/25/06, Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org> wrote:
> +1 Binding: John, Brett, Arnaud, Lukas, Emmanuel, Vincent S
> +1 Non-binding: Mike, Alex, Dan
>
> I'll proceed with the release

Carlos,

are you sure you released the correct artifacts?

# wget http://ibiblio.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/2.0.1/maven-assembly-plugin-2.0.1-sources.jar
# jar tvf maven-assembly-plugin-2.0.1-sources.jar  | grep AssemblyMojo
 26731 Wed Jan 25 16:20:38 GMT+01:00 2006
org/apache/maven/plugin/assembly/AssemblyMojo.java

jar is a 26k file

but http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/maven/plugins/trunk/maven-assembly-plugin/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/plugin/assembly/AssemblyMojo.java?rev=366433&view=markup

shows an almost empty file...

Seems like my fixes back in October/November didn't get released correctly.
E.g. http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MASSEMBLY-35

That release broke my build.

I am getting exceptions in a trace that shouldn't exist anymore:

[INFO] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[DEBUG] Trace
java.lang.IllegalStateException: basedir
/home/mvn/Dev/basis/Basis/src/main/resources/basis does not exist
        at org.codehaus.plexus.util.DirectoryScanner.scan(DirectoryScanner.java:542)
        at org.apache.maven.plugin.assembly.AssemblyMojo.copySetReplacingLineEndings(AssemblyMojo.java:701)
        at org.apache.maven.plugin.assembly.AssemblyMojo.processFileSets(AssemblyMojo.java:528)
        at org.apache.maven.plugin.assembly.AssemblyMojo.createArchive(AssemblyMojo.java:229)
        at org.apache.maven.plugin.assembly.AssemblyMojo.createAssembly(AssemblyMojo.java:205)
        at org.apache.maven.plugin.assembly.AssemblyMojo.execute(AssemblyMojo.java:185)
        at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultPluginManager.java:415)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:531)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalWithLifecycle(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:472)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:451)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHandleFailures(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:303)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegments(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:270)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:139)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:322)

Jerome

[result] [Vote] Release assembly plugin 2.0.1

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.
+1

Emmanuel

Posted by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>.
+1

Lukas

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
John Casey wrote:

> +1

+1

Working with a SNAPSHOT now.

Alex

Re: [Vote] Release assembly plugin 2.0.1

Posted by John Casey <jd...@yahoo.com>.
+1

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
I know I'm late but I like voting:) +1