Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu> on 2012/03/27 16:28:28 UTC

openstack and VCL ?

Hi Folks,

I think Tony from ECU asked about this before.

Has anyone worked with openstack http://openstack.org/ ?

I think integrating openstack provisioning into the VCL framework
would benefit VCL. It could also benefit openstack and their current
users. From what I understand, Openstack has a large commercial base
of users and could be a way to expose VCL to more commercial users.

Unless I'm wrong, currently openstack doesn't provide a self-service
interface for users to VDI or clusters, nor does it provide bare-metal
loads.  VCL with xCAT could provide that for that community in a short
time-frame.

Is there anyone interested in investigating and working on an
openstack provisioning module ?  I don't think it will take a huge
amount of work, one would need to know openstack and how to add in a
VCL provisioning module. I'd be willing to assist but would need
someone to take the lead on it.

Thoughts?

I know this is a development question, but also felt this is big
enough to include folks on the vcl-user list.

Best,
Aaron

--
Aaron Peeler
Program Manager

Re: ESXi 4.1 image for VCL reservation

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.
Why yes, you sure could.  :)  Forgot I created that.  It is used for
our ESXi xCAT kickstart installs.  All it does is override all of the
things Linux.pm post_load does.  It only waits for the ESXi computer
to respond to SSH.  Our kickstart file configures everything including
the public and private networking.  I can share this if its helpful.

The module is adequate for ESXi server installs (tovmhostinuse state)
and reload reservations.  For user reservations, you would need to add
the following subroutines:
-reserve
-grant_access
-is_user_connected
-sanitize (optional - If not implemented the computer will be reloaded
if a user makes a reservation but never logs in)

Also look at OS.pm::process_connect_methods.  I haven't worked on this
part of the code myself but you'll need to either implement the
firewall subroutines that process_connect_methods calls.

In order to use the module for the new server reservation feature in
2.3, you'd have to add a manage_server_access subroutine.

To be able to capture images, a pre_capture subroutine is needed.

-Andy

Posted by Dmitri Chebotarov <4d...@gmail.com>.
Andy

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.

Posted by Dmitri Chebotarov <dc...@gmu.edu>.

Posted by Mike Haudenschild <mi...@longsight.com>.

Posted by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>.
Definitely doable.

Posted by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>.
Definitely doable.

--
Aaron Peeler
Program Manager

ESXi 4.1 image for VCL reservation

Re: openstack and VCL ?

Posted by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>.
Hi Young,

Thanks for the update. This sounds like good progress.

You should be able to create a jira issue using your jira account.

Let me know if you can't and I'll be happy to create one.

Aaron

Re: openstack and VCL ?

Posted by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>.
Hi Young,

Re: openstack and VCL ?

  From: Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>
  To: Cameron Mann <ca...@cybera.ca>,
  Cc: vcl-user@incubator.apache.org, vcl-dev@incubator.apache.org
  Date: 03/29/2012 01:09 PM
  Subject: Re: openstack and VCL ?

Re: openstack and VCL ?

  From: Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>
  To: Cameron Mann <ca...@cybera.ca>,
  Cc: vcl-user@incubator.apache.org, vcl-dev@incubator.apache.org
  Date: 03/29/2012 01:09 PM

Re: openstack and VCL ?

Posted by Cameron Mann <ca...@cybera.ca>.
Hi Young,

Re: openstack and VCL ?

Posted by Cameron Mann <ca...@cybera.ca>.
Hi Young,

Re: openstack and VCL ?

Posted by Young h Oh <oh...@us.ibm.com>.
Hi Cameron,

From:	Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>
To:	Cameron Mann <ca...@cybera.ca>,
Cc:	vcl-user@incubator.apache.org, vcl-dev@incubator.apache.org
Date:	03/29/2012 01:09 PM
Subject:	Re: openstack and VCL ?

Re: openstack and VCL ?

Posted by Young h Oh <oh...@us.ibm.com>.
Hi Cameron,

From:	Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>
To:	Cameron Mann <ca...@cybera.ca>,
Cc:	vcl-user@incubator.apache.org, vcl-dev@incubator.apache.org
Date:	03/29/2012 01:09 PM
Subject:	Re: openstack and VCL ?

Re: openstack and VCL ?

Posted by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>.

Re: openstack and VCL ?

Posted by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>.

Re: openstack and VCL ?

Posted by Cameron Mann <ca...@cybera.ca>.

Re: openstack and VCL ?

Posted by Cameron Mann <ca...@cybera.ca>.

Re: openstack and VCL ?

Posted by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>.
Hi Cameron,

Re: openstack and VCL ?

Posted by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>.
Hi Cameron,

Re: openstack and VCL ?

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

Cameron,

That is exciting!  I look forward to seeing your presentation.

Josh

On Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:50:08 AM Cameron Mann wrote:
> Hi Aaron,
>
> One of the things we're working on at Cybera is an EC2 provisioning module.
>  We've also done a lot of work with OpenStack and our intent is for the
> module not just to work with Amazon EC2 but any cloud that implements the
> EC2 API, including OpenStack.  Right now it's very much in a proof of
> concept state, but our intent is to open source it once some of the rough
> edges are smoothed over.
>
> We'll also be presenting a paper at the upcoming ICA CON 2012 on our work
> so far.
>
> Cameron
>
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 8:28 AM, Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu> wrote:
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > I think Tony from ECU asked about this before.
> >
> > Has anyone worked with openstack http://openstack.org/ ?
> >
> > I think integrating openstack provisioning into the VCL framework
> > would benefit VCL. It could also benefit openstack and their current
> > users. From what I understand, Openstack has a large commercial base
> > of users and could be a way to expose VCL to more commercial users.
> >
> > Unless I'm wrong, currently openstack doesn't provide a self-service
> > interface for users to VDI or clusters, nor does it provide bare-metal
> > loads.  VCL with xCAT could provide that for that community in a short
> > time-frame.
> >
> > Is there anyone interested in investigating and working on an
> > openstack provisioning module ?  I don't think it will take a huge
> > amount of work, one would need to know openstack and how to add in a
> > VCL provisioning module. I'd be willing to assist but would need
> > someone to take the lead on it.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > I know this is a development question, but also felt this is big
> > enough to include folks on the vcl-user list.
> >
> > Best,
> > Aaron
> >
> > --
> > Aaron Peeler
> > Program Manager
> > Virtual Computing Lab
> > NC State University
> >
> > All electronic mail messages in connection with State business which
> > are sent to or received by this account are subject to the NC Public
> > Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.
- --
- -------------------------------
Josh Thompson
VCL Developer