Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu> on 2004/10/14 23:20:36 UTC

[announce] APR 1.0 Tutorial at ApacheCon

Sorry for the spam, but I just wanted to get the word out about the APR
1.0 Tutorial that Sander and I are doing at ApacheCon.  We're hoping that
some of you all who lurk on these lists and are interested in learning
more about APR and the interface and features it provides might be able to
convince your bosses to pay for you to come to the con and attend our
tutorial.  It's a three hour in-depth look at APR and how to use it.
The full abstract is below.  If you're interested, sign up asap -- if
the number of people registered doesn't improve soon we might have to
cancel the class altogether.

Hope to see you there,
Cliff

T03: Apache Portable Runtime 1.0 Tutorial

Day: Sat
Time: 09h00
Session chair: None assigned
Duration: 180 minutes
Style: Tutorial
Level: Experienced
Audience: Developer
Categories:
Speaker: Cliff Woolley
Speaker: Sander Striker

As any systems programmer will know, one of the biggest headaches in
writing a cross-platform application is dealing with the inconsistencies
between various operating systems when trying to accomplish a given task.
The Apache Portable Runtime is a portability library that seeks to bridge
the gaps among these different platforms by providing a consistent
interface for them all while attempting to provide maximum performance on
each. It forms the underpinnings of both the Apache HTTP Server 2.0 and
the Subversion revision control system, among other applications, freeing
them from having to handle each new operating system as a special case.
Though APR has been "in development" for several years, version 1.0 has
finally hit the streets in its final form. This tutorial will give an
overview of the features and APIs provided by APR 1.0 plus examples of how
to use these features to make your own applications portable with ease. We
will also demonstrate how APR's subsystems can be used together to build
more complex applications by using them to construct a simple, portable
web client that can fetch pages from a webserver and write them to disk.