Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dave Minter <da...@paperstack.com> on 2002/03/23 18:10:50 UTC

JNDI / DataSource problems

Hi,

I'm having some problems initialising a DataSource object for the purposes of
connection pooling under tomcat.

The database to which I'm trying to connect is Postgresql. The connections
work fine with the standard java.sql.* approach.

Basically when I try to acquire a DataSource object, I get null. Nothing in
my log files indicates the cause of the problem - or indeed that there is a
problem at all (aside from my own log4j output).

When using the standard java.sql stuff my jsp & servlets work perfectly in
every respect, so I'm confident that the rest of my configuration is correct.
Or correct enough, anyway.

Versions:
tomcat: 4.0.3
jdk: 1.3.1
j2sdkee: 1.3
postgresql: 7.1.3
log4j: 1.2beta4

Code that bombs out:

      /** TODO: Remove this code completely once the connection
                pool is in place...
      Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver").newInstance();
      m_connection =
DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:postgresql://localhost/council","council","
council"); **/
      Context c1 = new InitialContext();
      log.debug("C1: " + c1);
      Object c2 = ((Context)c1).lookup("java:/comp/env");
      log.debug("C2: " + c2);
      Object c3 = ((Context)c2).lookup("jdbc");
      log.debug("C3: " + c3);
      Object c4 = ((Context)c3).lookup("ForumsDB");
      log.debug("C4: " + c4);

      m_connection = ((DataSource)c4).getConnection();

And the log4j output of the above is:

C1: javax.naming.InitialContext@658cb8
C2: org.apache.naming.NamingContext@79935d
C3: org.apache.naming.NamingContext@39e45a
C4: null

Followed, naturally, by a NullPointerException.

So I seem to be setting up a suitable java:/comp/env/jdbc path, but either
I've not set up the ForumsDB sub-path correctly (seems unlikely, since it's
formed by the same directive as the parent), OR something is storing a null
object in this leaf, OR nothing is getting invoked to store anything in this
leaf.

Now, those last two possibilities seem the most likely culprits, but I would
have expected either one to result in a logged failure and I can find nothing
appropriate. I've looked in /var/log/* and tomcat/logs/*

Any suggestions ? I'm quitely going spare...

Thanks,

Dave

Config files follow:

server.xml:
<!-- Example Server Configuration File -->
<!-- Note that component elements are nested corresponding to their
     parent-child relationships with each other -->

<!-- A "Server" is a singleton element that represents the entire JVM,
     which may contain one or more "Service" instances.  The Server
     listens for a shutdown command on the indicated port.

     Note:  A "Server" is not itself a "Container", so you may not
     define subcomponents such as "Valves" or "Loggers" at this level.
 -->

  <!-- A "Service" is a collection of one or more "Connectors" that share
       a single "Container" (and therefore the web applications visible
       within that Container).  Normally, that Container is an "Engine",
       but this is not required.

       Note:  A "Service" is not itself a "Container", so you may not
       define subcomponents such as "Valves" or "Loggers" at this level.
   -->

  <!-- Define the Tomcat Stand-Alone Service -->
  <Service name="Tomcat-Standalone">

    <!-- A "Connector" represents an endpoint by which requests are received
         and responses are returned.  Each Connector passes requests on to
 the associated "Container" (normally an Engine) for processing.

         By default, a non-SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector is established on port
 8080. You can also enable an SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8443 by
 following the instructions below and uncommenting the second Connector
         entry.  SSL support requires the following steps (see the SSL Config
         HOWTO in the Tomcat 4.0 documentation bundle for more detailed
         instructions):
         * Download and install JSSE 1.0.2 or later, and put the JAR files
           into "$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext".
         * Execute:
             %JAVA_HOME%\bin\keytool -genkey -alias tomcat -keyalg RSA
(Windows)
             $JAVA_HOME/bin/keytool -genkey -alias tomcat -keyalg RSA  (Unix)
           with a password value of "changeit" for both the certificate and
           the keystore itself.

         By default, DNS lookups are enabled when a web application calls
         request.getRemoteHost().  This can have an adverse impact on
         performance, so you can disable it by setting the
         "enableLookups" attribute to "false".  When DNS lookups are
 disabled, request.getRemoteHost() will return the String version of the IP
 address of the remote client.
    -->

    <!-- Define a non-SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8080 -->
               enableLookups="true" redirectPort="8443"
               acceptCount="10" debug="0" connectionTimeout="60000"/>
    <!-- Note : To disable connection timeouts, set connectionTimeout value
     to -1 -->

    <!-- Define an SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8443 -->
    <!--
               enableLookups="true"
         acceptCount="10" debug="0" scheme="https" secure="true">
      <Factory className="org.apache.catalina.net.SSLServerSocketFactory"
               clientAuth="false" protocol="TLS"/>
    </Connector>
    -->

               acceptCount="10" debug="0"/>

    <!-- Define a Proxied HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8081 -->
    <!-- See proxy documentation for more information about using this. -->
    <!--
               enableLookups="true"
               proxyPort="80"/>
    -->

    <!-- Define a non-SSL HTTP/1.0 Test Connector on port 8082 -->
    <!--
    <Connector className="org.apache.catalina.connector.http10.HttpConnector"
               enableLookups="true" redirectPort="8443"
               acceptCount="10" debug="0"/>
    -->

    <!-- An Engine represents the entry point (within Catalina) that
 processes every request.  The Engine implementation for Tomcat stand alone
 analyzes the HTTP headers included with the request, and passes them on to
 the appropriate Host (virtual host). -->

    <!-- Define the top level container in our container hierarchy -->
    <Engine name="Standalone" defaultHost="localhost" debug="0">

      <!-- The request dumper valve dumps useful debugging information about
           the request headers and cookies that were received, and the
response
           headers and cookies that were sent, for all requests received by
           this instance of Tomcat.  If you care only about requests to a
           particular virtual host, or a particular application, nest this
           element inside the corresponding <Host> or <Context> entry
 instead.

           For a similar mechanism that is portable to all Servlet 2.3
           containers, check out the "RequestDumperFilter" Filter in the
           example application (the source for this filter may be found in
           "$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/examples/WEB-INF/classes/filters").

           Request dumping is disabled by default.  Uncomment the following
           element to enable it. -->
      <!--
      <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.RequestDumperValve"/>
      -->

      <!-- Global logger unless overridden at lower levels -->
              prefix="catalina_log." suffix=".txt"
              timestamp="true"/>

      <!-- Because this Realm is here, an instance will be shared globally
 -->

      <!-- <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.MemoryRealm" /> -->

      <Realm  className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm" debug="99"
             driverName="org.postgresql.Driver"

connectionURL="jdbc:postgresql://localhost/council?user=council;password=coun
cil" userTable="users"
            userNameCol="username"
            userCredCol="password"
          userRoleTable="roles"
            roleNameCol="rolename"
                 digest="MD5" />

      <!-- Replace the above Realm with one of the following to get a Realm
           stored in a database and accessed via JDBC -->

      <!--
      <Realm  className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm" debug="99"
             driverName="org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver"

connectionURL="jdbc:mysql://localhost/authority?user=test;password=test"
              userTable="users" userNameCol="user_name"
userCredCol="user_pass"
          userRoleTable="user_roles" roleNameCol="role_name" />
      -->

      <!--
      <Realm  className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm" debug="99"
             driverName="oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver"

connectionURL="jdbc:oracle:thin:@ntserver:1521:ORCL?user=scott;password=tiger
" userTable="users" userNameCol="user_name"
userCredCol="user_pass"
          userRoleTable="user_roles" roleNameCol="role_name" />
      -->

      <!--
      <Realm  className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm" debug="99"
             driverName="sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"
          connectionURL="jdbc:odbc:CATALINA"
              userTable="users" userNameCol="user_name"
userCredCol="user_pass"
          userRoleTable="user_roles" roleNameCol="role_name" />
      -->

      <!-- Define the default virtual host -->
      <Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true">

        <!-- Normally, users must authenticate themselves to each web app
             individually.  Uncomment the following entry if you would like
             a user to be authenticated the first time they encounter a
             resource protected by a security constraint, and then have that
             user identity maintained across *all* web applications contained
             in this virtual host. -->
        <!--
        <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SingleSignOn"
                   debug="0"/>
        -->

        <!-- Access log processes all requests for this virtual host.  By
             default, log files are created in the "logs" directory relative
             $CATALINA_HOME.  If you wish, you can specify a different
             directory with the "directory" attribute.  Specify either a
relative
             (to $CATALINA_HOME) or absolute path to the desired directory.
        -->
                 directory="logs"  prefix="localhost_access_log."
suffix=".txt"
                 pattern="common"/>

        <!-- Logger shared by all Contexts related to this virtual host.  By
             default (when using FileLogger), log files are created in the
"logs"
             directory relative to $CATALINA_HOME.  If you wish, you can
specify
             a different directory with the "directory" attribute.  Specify
either a
             relative (to $CATALINA_HOME) or absolute path to the desired
             directory.-->
                 directory="logs"  prefix="localhost_log." suffix=".txt"
          timestamp="true"/>

        <!-- Define properties for each web application.  This is only needed
             if you want to set non-default properties, or have web
application
             document roots in places other than the virtual host's appBase
             directory.  -->

        <!-- Tomcat Root Context -->
        <!--
          <Context path="" docBase="ROOT" debug="0"/>
        -->

  <!-- Paperstack Context -->
  <Context path="/paperstack" docBase="/home/dave/paperstack/site" debug="9">

    <Resource name="jdbc/ForumsDB"
              auth="Container"
              type="javax.sql.DataSource" />

    <ResourceParams name="jdbc/ForumsDB">
      <parameter>
        <name>driverClassName</name>
        <value>org.postgresql.Driver</value>
      </parameter>

      <parameter>
        <name>driverName</name>
        <value>jdbc:postgresql://localhost/council</value>
      </parameter>

      <parameter>
        <name>user</name>
        <value>council</value>
      </parameter>

      <parameter>
        <name>password</name>
        <value>council</value>
      </parameter>

      <parameter>
        <name>maxPoolSize</name>
        <value>2</value>
      </parameter>

      <parameter>
        <name>loginTimeout</name>
        <value>10</value>
      </parameter>
    </ResourceParams>

  </Context>

        <!-- Tomcat Manager Context -->
        <Context path="/manager" docBase="manager"
         debug="0" privileged="true"/>

      </Host>

    </Engine>

  </Service>

  <!-- The MOD_WEBAPP connector is used to connect Apache 1.3 with Tomcat 4.0
       as its servlet container. Please read the README.txt file coming with
       the WebApp Module distribution on how to build it.
       (Or check out the "jakarta-tomcat-connectors/webapp" CVS repository)

       To configure the Apache side, you must ensure that you have the
       "ServerName" and "Port" directives defined in "httpd.conf".  Then,
       lines like these to the bottom of your "httpd.conf" file:

         LoadModule webapp_module libexec/mod_webapp.so
         WebAppConnection warpConnection warp localhost:8008
         WebAppDeploy examples warpConnection /examples/

       The next time you restart Apache (after restarting Tomcat, if needed)
       the connection will be established, and all applications you make
       visible via "WebAppDeploy" directives can be accessed through Apache.
  -->

  <!-- Define an Apache-Connector Service -->
  <Service name="Tomcat-Apache">

    <Connector className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnector"
     enableLookups="true" appBase="webapps"
     acceptCount="10" debug="0"/>

    <!-- Replace "localhost" with what your Apache "ServerName" is set to -->
    <Engine className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpEngine"
     name="Apache" debug="0">

      <!-- Global logger unless overridden at lower levels -->
              prefix="apache_log." suffix=".txt"
              timestamp="true"/>

      <!-- Because this Realm is here, an instance will be shared globally
 --> <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.MemoryRealm" />

    </Engine>

  </Service>

</Server>

web.xml:

<!DOCTYPE web-app

<web-app>

  <taglib>
    <taglib-uri>
      /pstags
    </taglib-uri>
    <taglib-location>
      /WEB-INF/tlds/paperstack.tld
    </taglib-location>
  </taglib>

  <resource-ref>
    <res-ref-name>jdbc/ForumsDB</res-ref-name>
    <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
  </resource-ref>

  <security-constraint>
    <web-resource-collection>
      <web-resource-name>Protected Resources</web-resource-name>
      <url-pattern>/protected/*</url-pattern>
    </web-resource-collection>
    <auth-constraint>
      <role-name>administrator</role-name>
    </auth-constraint>
  </security-constraint>

  <login-config>
    <auth-method>FORM</auth-method>
    <realm-name>Protected Resources</realm-name>
    <form-login-config>
      <form-login-page>/login.jsp</form-login-page>
      <form-error-page>/loginError.jsp</form-error-page>
    </form-login-config>
  </login-config>

</web-app>

Re: JNDI / DataSource problems

Posted by Nikola Milutinovic <Ni...@ev.co.yu>.

I have both of them, but there is no DataSource implementation class. What was your download link? Mine was from http://jdbc.postgresql.org/downloads/

> I'd kind of assumed that even a completely non-existant class would still
> result in an instantiated DataSource object, but that I wouldn't be able to
> retrieve any connections (duh !) from it - is this the behaviour I should
> expect, or is the behaviour I'm getting (viz a null pointer) what should be
> expected under those circumstances?

OK, my next step is to dig into Tomcat sources and see what the hell is it actually doing while server parsing. Can anyone tell me where it is exactly and spare me the trouble of wandering through the entire source?

> Currently my application will scale to about 3 users - fortunately it's a
> spare time project, so this doesn't actually matter in any real sense ;-)

So is mine, but it is frustrating to waste months of ones spare time on breaking walls...

Nix.

Re: JNDI / DataSource problems

Posted by Dave Minter <da...@paperstack.com>.
Thanks - I've tried both the latest stable (which doesn't appear to contain a
DataSource implementation) and the latest dev version (which does) of the
postgres jdbc drivers. Both fail...

I'd kind of assumed that even a completely non-existant class would still
result in an instantiated DataSource object, but that I wouldn't be able to
retrieve any connections (duh !) from it - is this the behaviour I should
expect, or is the behaviour I'm getting (viz a null pointer) what should be
expected under those circumstances ?

Currently my application will scale to about 3 users - fortunately it's a
spare time project, so this doesn't actually matter in any real sense ;-)

Dave.

Posted by Nikola Milutinovic <Ni...@ev.co.yu>.