Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2016/05/24 17:41:54 UTC

RE: [PROPOSAL][API][WINDOWS]Whether Common Spelling API can be implemented

Moving to dev@, BCC to users@

Please continue this discussion on dev@ for technical purposes.

Please provide more information about the Common Spelling API and where its specification can be found.  Also, is there any connection with the indexing APIs that would allow ODF documents to be full-text searched?

Finally, is the API one that many providers offer as well as many consumers use, or is there some other model involved.  The architecture needs to be understood.

 - Dennis

More thoughts,

I suspect that the way that AOO integrates writing aids, including spelling checkers, would not be very compatible.  In addition, it would likely involve silent loading of all of AOO in order to accomplish integration.

The proposal is interesting.  However, it might require considerable refactoring and architectural adjustment in AOO to have the writing aids accessible by libraries that could be shared between AOO and other Windows applications.

But without more details, it is not possible to form any assessment at all.

PS: Do not write directly to me.  This needs to be a public dev@ discussion.  I will treat replies to me as providing permission to forward them as I see fit.

Re: [PROPOSAL][API][WINDOWS]Whether Common Spelling (Speller) API can be implemented

Posted by Alexey Zhuravliov <al...@voliacable.com>.
Hello All,

DEH>>> and where its specification can be found.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15418955/how-to-implement-a-spell-checker-for-microsoft-office
:      "There      is      a      sample      source     code     here
(http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/1140/Using-the-Microsoft-Common-Spell-API)
on  how  to implement a DLL which provides the spell checking service,
and a PDF document describing the CSAPI.

It is not that easy to obtain Microsoft's documentation (...) you have
to      submit     a     proposal     of     your     project     here
(https://members.microsoft.com/omc/welcome.aspx) or contact someone at
Microsoft  Ireland (http://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/default.aspx) (they
are  the  people  in  charge of the development and maintenance of the
spell  checking  API),  if  it  is  approved  they  will  send you the
documentation needed.

I  should  clarify that the CSAPI only provides the means to develop a
spell checker for single words and only using VS C++ (No C# or VB), if
you  want  to  develop a Grammar Checker o a Thesaurus you have to ask
for other APIs".
--
Best regards,
Alexey Zhuravliov                            mailto:alexzhyr@voliacable.com

Re: [PROPOSAL][API][WINDOWS]Whether Common Spelling (Speller) API can be implemented

Posted by Alexey Zhuravliov <al...@voliacable.com>.
Hello Alexey,

DEH>> Please provide more information about the Common Spelling API

Tried  to  google  (https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/kb/262605) and
found out that it's called Common Spell_er_ API and MS Office 2000 was
the  _first_  MS  Office to implement it (sorry for that mistake). But
since  MS  uses it there are many chances that there are many programs
using it.

DEH>> and where its specification can be found.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/kb/262605    :    "To   facilitate
development  of a new engine and lexicon, Microsoft has made the CSAPI
specification   available.".   "Developers   who   are  interested  in
implementing a CSAPI spell check engine and lexicon, or only an add-in
lexicon, can contact Microsoft Developer Support.".

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/kb/234322 :
"Microsoft Office Developer Support Web Site
http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=supportcontent.asp?ID=FH;EN-US;ofd
Microsoft Developer Network
http://msdn.microsoft.com/ "

"Developers  who want to add spell checking to their custom application
can  contact  one  of  the  following  vendors to obtain a spell check
engine and development license:
Wintertree Software Sentry and WSpell Spelling Checkers
http://wintertree-software.com

ComponentOne VSSPELL (formerly VideoSoft VSSPELL)
http://www.componentone.com/

BeCubed AZSpell (formerly HighSpell)
http://www.becubed.com "

The three links don't seem to be much of use.

AZ> No  information on that. Of course MS must have them but it's unlikely
AZ> they would help their competitor.

They seem to make the specification publicly available.

DEH>> Finally, is the API one that many providers offer

AZ> Since it's MS's API its unlikely somebody else uses it.

There  seem  to  be  companies  that  provide their own spell checking
engines.

Posted by Alexey Zhuravliov <al...@voliacable.com>.
Hello Howard,

Monday, May 30, 2016, 11:26:54 PM, you wrote:

HMaCB> I tend to agree, but wish to add a few  comments.
HMaCB> I went to Source Forge and noticed there were  a lot a spell
HMaCB> checkers out there, including some that want to be an  API/
HMaCB> There is no need to compete with them, but  cooperation would be a good idea.
HMaCB> If anyone wishes to, please look at them and see if any might
HMaCB> be a good replacement to what we have.

Is  there  still  anybody  wishing to examine those spell checkers and
pick out some that may by of use for AOO?

HMaCB> Being able to access the source code night  also be a boon.
HMaCB> The following should be part of out  requirements:
HMaCB>   Able to adjust to multiple languages   Able to add
HMaCB> individual files for words the    users want to add to the
HMaCB> dictionary. My thinking if multiple people are using    the
HMaCB> same computer, each person should have their own override file
HMaCB> (in    user/AppData/Local/?).   Give reasonable suggestions for
HMaCB> misspelled    words. This may include Keyboard recognition for
HMaCB> typo errors. (Like a Russian    Keyboard).

HMaCB> _____________________________________________________________________________________________
HMaCB> I have examined some of the materials  available for the CSAPI.

HMaCB> Here are my initial observations:

HMaCB> 1. The  CSAPI is closely-held by Microsoft.  It is evidently
HMaCB> not part of their Open  Specifications set.

HMaCB> 2. Apparently a license agreement is required in  order to
HMaCB> have the necessary materials and also learn of any
HMaCB> maintenance/change  to the API over time.

HMaCB> 3. The implementation is via a DLL that can be  registered on
HMaCB> Microsoft Windows and thereby relied upon by Microsoft Office
HMaCB> products that will use the CSAPI to access a spell-checker for a given  language.

HMaCB> CONCLUSION

HMaCB> To provide implementations of such DLLs at  Apache OpenOffice,
HMaCB> these would require a development offered as open source  under
HMaCB> the Apache License. This would, by the way, probably impair the
HMaCB> use of  spelling lexicons that are provided under incompatible
HMaCB> licenses and probably  unwelcome at Microsoft.

HMaCB> It seems to me that the closely-held nature of  the CSAPI and
HMaCB> requirement for license agreements is completely out of scope
HMaCB> for  Apache OpenOffice and not compatible with policies of the
HMaCB> Apache Software  Foundation.  This is simply a road we cannot go down.

HMaCB> I  suggest that we not go any farther investigating this
HMaCB> proposal unless those  encumbrances disappear.

HMaCB> - Dennis

HMaCB> PS: A third party could engage  with Microsoft and supply a
HMaCB> CSAPI-accepting implementation.  That might  employ the same
HMaCB> tools that AOO employs for processing supplied lexicons.   The
HMaCB> third party would have to navigate the licenses on such
HMaCB> lexicons as well and  ensure that this does not introduce any
HMaCB> licensing condition that is unacceptable  to Microsoft.  The
HMaCB> independent third party also might not be so opposed to
HMaCB> empowering the use of CSAPI-delivered spelling checkers by
HMaCB> Microsoft products as  I imagine the contributors of lexicons to AOO might be.

Posted by "Howard Morris (aka Col Boogie)" <Ho...@hotmail.com>.
I tend to agree, but wish to add a few comments.
I went to Source Forge and noticed there were a lot a spell checkers out there, including some that want to be an API/
There is no need to compete with them, but cooperation would be a good idea.
If anyone wishes to, please look at them and see if any might be a good replacement to what we have.
Being able to access the source code night also be a boon.
The following should be part of out requirements:
  1.. Able to adjust to multiple languages
  2.. Able to add individual files for words the users want to add to the dictionary. My thinking if multiple people are using the same computer, each person should have their own override file (in user/AppData/Local/?).
  3.. Give reasonable suggestions for misspelled words. This may include Keyboard recognition for typo errors. (Like a Russian Keyboard).
Howard
I have examined some of the materials available for the CSAPI.

Here are my initial observations:

1. The CSAPI is closely-held by Microsoft.  It is evidently not part of their Open Specifications set.

2. Apparently a license agreement is required in order to have the necessary materials and also learn of any maintenance/change to the API over time.

3. The implementation is via a DLL that can be registered on Microsoft Windows and thereby relied upon by Microsoft Office products that will use the CSAPI to access a spell-checker for a given language.

CONCLUSION

To provide implementations of such DLLs at Apache OpenOffice, these would require a development offered as open source under the Apache License. This would, by the way, probably impair the use of spelling lexicons that are provided under incompatible licenses and probably unwelcome at Microsoft.

It seems to me that the closely-held nature of the CSAPI and requirement for license agreements is completely out of scope for Apache OpenOffice and not compatible with policies of the Apache Software Foundation.  This is simply a road we cannot go down.

I suggest that we not go any farther investigating this proposal unless those encumbrances disappear.

- Dennis

Posted by Alexey Zhuravliov <al...@voliacable.com>.
Hello Dennis,

Friday, May 27, 2016, 8:31:25 PM, you wrote:

DEH> PS: Minor clarification:  The request was for AOO to *be* or
DEH> *provide* a spell checker available to other programs via the
DEH> CSAPI on Windows.  In any case, there is no reason for us to go down that road.

If it can't be done through CSAPI can it be done by other means?

--
Best regards,
Alexey Zhuravliov

RE: [PROPOSAL][API][WINDOWS]Whether Common Spelling API can be implemented

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Agreed,

 - Dennis

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Remarks in-line

[orcmid]

The request was that the spell-checking functionality of Apache OpenOffice be made available in some manner via CSAPI on Windows, so other Windows applications could make use of the different language lexicons that are distributed as (third-party) Apache OpenOffice extensions.

> See https://hunspell.github.io/
[orcmid]

Apache OpenOffice can include Hunspell (under the MPL 1.1 option) in binary form only.  If it is installed as part of the official Apache OpenOffice distributions, it does not appear to be in a form where it is available for use by other programs.

The lexicons are separate.

> I recently came across something that Firefox and Open office were set
> to share their spell checker.
> That would be nice.
[orcmid]

We use third-party lexicons.  We are not part of arrangements by which other parties use (forms of) them too.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no joint activity between the projects, although AOO code could be adapted, if useful, without our having to know about it.

> Howard
> I have examined some of the materials available for the CSAPI.

[ ... ]

Posted by "Howard Morris (aka Col Boogie)" <Ho...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

Posted by Alexey Zhuravliov <al...@voliacable.com>.
Hello Rory,

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Wed, 25 May 2016 21:11:42 +0300
Alexey Zhuravliov <al...@voliacable.com> wrote:

> Hello Alexey,
>
> DEH>> Please provide more information about the Common Spelling API

Unless this does something dramatically different and improved from the existing spelling system, the English dictionary of which is very well serviced by Marcus, I suggest that, on the "If it's not broke don't fix it" principle we should leave the spelling system alone.

Rory

Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: [PROPOSAL][API][WINDOWS]Whether Common Spelling API can be implemented

Posted by Alexey Zhuravliov <al...@voliacable.com>.
Hello Alexey,

Posted by Alexey Zhuravliov <al...@voliacable.com>.
Hello Dennis,

Tuesday, May 24, 2016, 8:41:54 PM, you wrote:
DEH> Please provide more information about the Common Spelling API

Unfortunately I don't have much information on that matter. I actually
told  all  I know in my first message (quoted later in this message) -
it is Microsoft's API, they used it their Office up to version 2000 if
I remember correctly and at least one programme used it in its earlier
versions  - The Bat! e-mail client (rather popular in Russian-speaking
countries i.e. CIS).

DEH> and where its specification can be found.

No  information on that. Of course MS must have them but it's unlikely
they would help their competitor.

DEH> Also,  is  there any connection with the indexing APIs that would
DEH> allow ODF documents to be full-text searched?

No idea on that.

DEH> Finally, is the API one that many providers offer

Since it's MS's API its unlikely somebody else uses it.

DEH> as  well  as  many  consumers  use, or is there some other model
DEH> involved.

I  know  just one - The Bat!, there can be others and I think that the
first  thing  to  do  is to find what programs use it now. People that
know some progs to use it should write here for everybody to know just
to  understand  if  there  is sense to implement the API. On the other
hand  programs  that  have  to  maintain  their  own spelling checking
engines  (e.g.  Opera  browser)  may use AOO's one in future if one is
implemented.