Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2012/01/12 16:02:07 UTC

[VOTE] Clarify the role of the Champion as an "incubation coordinator"

Hi Incubator PMC,

Here's the result of discussions that took place around Christmas -
the goal is to try and improve the PMC's oversight on podling reports
and missing mentors, by having the Champion act as the main liaison
between a podling and the Incubator PMC.

If we agree on the below principles, I'll update the
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html#Champion
description accordingly.

Please cast your votes to accept the following clarifications to the
Champion's role - this majority vote is open for at least 72 hours:

Once a podling is created, and until it graduates, its Champion must:

1. Coordinate the creation and timely delivery of the podling's board reports.

2. Keep an eye on the mentors' activity and take action (ask for new
mentors, talk to the Incubator PMC) if they don't seem to provide
enough oversight or mentorship to the podling,

As far as the podling is concerned:

3. The podling can elect a new Champion at any time, and must notify
the Incubator PMC when that happens.

4. Existing podlings will need to elect a Champion, unless their
current one agrees to take on the above tasks.

5. The podling reports must indicate who the current Champion is.

-Bertrand

Re: [VOTE] Clarify the role of the Champion as an "incubation coordinator"

Posted by Scott Deboy <sc...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
+1

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [VOTE] Clarify the role of the Champion as an "incubation coordinator"

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.
On 01/12/2012 09:02 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Hi Incubator PMC,
>
> Here's the result of discussions that took place around Christmas -
> the goal is to try and improve the PMC's oversight on podling reports
> and missing mentors, by having the Champion act as the main liaison
> between a podling and the Incubator PMC.
>
> If we agree on the below principles, I'll update the
> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html#Champion
> description accordingly.
>
> Please cast your votes to accept the following clarifications to the
> Champion's role - this majority vote is open for at least 72 hours:
>
> Once a podling is created, and until it graduates, its Champion must:
>
> 1. Coordinate the creation and timely delivery of the podling's board reports.
>
> 2. Keep an eye on the mentors' activity and take action (ask for new
> mentors, talk to the Incubator PMC) if they don't seem to provide
> enough oversight or mentorship to the podling,
>
> As far as the podling is concerned:
>
> 3. The podling can elect a new Champion at any time, and must notify
> the Incubator PMC when that happens.
>
> 4. Existing podlings will need to elect a Champion, unless their
> current one agrees to take on the above tasks.
>
> 5. The podling reports must indicate who the current Champion is.
>
> -Bertrand

+1 (binding)

Re: [Discuss] Clarify the role of the Champion as an "incubation coordinator"

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 12:17 AM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 5:18 PM, Christian Grobmeier
> <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 11:15 PM, Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> I doubt writing some more documentation on
>>> some webpage about yet another set of responsibilities
>>> for yet another role will make a material
>>> difference to anyone's behavior.  Under Noel
>>> we have run the Incubator as a member entitlement
>>> program, and the generally poor quality of
>>> mentoring is the natural result of that.
>>
>> If we can't find a champion willing to do this task we shouldn't
>> accept the podling.
>> This levels the bar to enter the incubator, but probably helps that we
>> do not accept every podling which sounds cool.
>> Better less but well-cared podlings.
>
> I am choosing not to participate in this vote (my feeling is that in
> some cases it will definitely be helpful, in others it likely won't
> cause much harm, so treat my silence as +/- 0).
>
> But I am commenting on this thread (changing the subject line en
> passant) as I don't believe that one size fits all.  In particular, I
> think that ooo has benefited from having multiple active mentors.   I
> also believe that while that podling has quite a few challenges, being
> able to produce a full and complete report is not one of them.  I also
> sense a strong intent to graduate.
>
>> How to care on what we have now is another question.
>
> I expect this vote to pass, and if it does, I am willing to champion JSPWiki.

If its still here I was wondering about one of the Kato guys being
their champion ;)

   ...ant

[Discuss] Clarify the role of the Champion as an "incubation coordinator"

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
<gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 11:15 PM, Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I doubt writing some more documentation on
>> some webpage about yet another set of responsibilities
>> for yet another role will make a material
>> difference to anyone's behavior.  Under Noel
>> we have run the Incubator as a member entitlement
>> program, and the generally poor quality of
>> mentoring is the natural result of that.
>
> If we can't find a champion willing to do this task we shouldn't
> accept the podling.
> This levels the bar to enter the incubator, but probably helps that we
> do not accept every podling which sounds cool.
> Better less but well-cared podlings.

I am choosing not to participate in this vote (my feeling is that in
some cases it will definitely be helpful, in others it likely won't
cause much harm, so treat my silence as +/- 0).

But I am commenting on this thread (changing the subject line en
passant) as I don't believe that one size fits all.  In particular, I
think that ooo has benefited from having multiple active mentors.   I
also believe that while that podling has quite a few challenges, being
able to produce a full and complete report is not one of them.  I also
sense a strong intent to graduate.

> How to care on what we have now is another question.

I expect this vote to pass, and if it does, I am willing to champion JSPWiki.

- Sam Ruby

Re: [VOTE] Clarify the role of the Champion as an "incubation coordinator"

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
My personal threshold for evaluating the
overall quality of a mentor's work is whether
or not I can exceed their level of competence
and effort towards a podling within 5 hours
of reviewing the podling's history.  Most of
the time I can.  Certainly can in the Kato and
Tashi cases.

You are right tho that mentoring is a sustained
commitment to a podling over a long period
of time.   I think we are headed in the right
direction by actively reviewing the reports
of longstanding podlings to see whether their
mentors are still able to demonstrate oversight.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [VOTE] Clarify the role of the Champion as an "incubation coordinator"

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
+1

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Clarify the role of the Champion as an "incubation coordinator"

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 11:05 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Christian Grobmeier
> <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>> ...Did you update this too?
>> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Process_Description.html
>> Think it is worth to mention it there too..
>
> I didn't change that...feel free ;-)

Oh dear, another item on my list, which is exploding these days! Will
try, but I am not unhappy if somebody else becomes creative.

Cheers!
Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Clarify the role of the Champion as an "incubation coordinator"

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 10:07 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
> <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
>> ...I'll update http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html#Champion
>> accordingly....
>
> Done in revision 1232798, I'll wait for that to be online to inform
> podlings of the change.

Did you update this too?
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Process_Description.html
Think it is worth to mention it there too

Cheers
Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Clarify the role of the Champion as an "incubation coordinator"

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...Please cast your votes to accept the following clarifications to the
> Champion's role - this majority vote is open for at least 72 hours...

The vote passes with binding +1s from

Ross Gardler
Ant Elder
Marcel Offermans
Luciano Resende
Christian Grobmeier
Scott Deboy
Chris Mattmann
Richard Frovarp
David Crossley
Mark Struberg
Jean-Baptiste Onofre
Jukka Zitting
Ate Douma
Bill Rowe
Craig Russell

and no other votes.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> Please cast your votes to accept the following clarifications to the
> Champion's role - this majority vote is open for at least 72 hours:

+1 Sounds good.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [VOTE] Clarify the role of the Champion as an "incubation coordinator"

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
+1 (binding)

Ate

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.
+1

Makes perfect sense to me!

Re: [VOTE] Clarify the role of the Champion as an "incubation coordinator"

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 7:02 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Incubator PMC,
>
> Here's the result of discussions that took place around Christmas -
> the goal is to try and improve the PMC's oversight on podling reports
> and missing mentors, by having the Champion act as the main liaison
> between a podling and the Incubator PMC.
>
> If we agree on the below principles, I'll update the
> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html#Champion
> description accordingly.
>
> Please cast your votes to accept the following clarifications to the
> Champion's role - this majority vote is open for at least 72 hours:
>
> Once a podling is created, and until it graduates, its Champion must:
>
> 1. Coordinate the creation and timely delivery of the podling's board reports.
>
> 2. Keep an eye on the mentors' activity and take action (ask for new
> mentors, talk to the Incubator PMC) if they don't seem to provide
> enough oversight or mentorship to the podling,
>
> As far as the podling is concerned:
>
> 3. The podling can elect a new Champion at any time, and must notify
> the Incubator PMC when that happens.
>
> 4. Existing podlings will need to elect a Champion, unless their
> current one agrees to take on the above tasks.
>
> 5. The podling reports must indicate who the current Champion is.
>
> -Bertrand

+1

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende

Re: [VOTE] Clarify the role of the Champion as an "incubation coordinator"

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
+1 (binding)

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
+1 (binding).

Cheers,
Chris

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
I agree as well. A small step in the right direction. Should mean less
controversy...

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 11:38 PM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm +1 on this too. I think its the easiest way to get close to what
> Niclas was just suggesting of having only a single responsible mentor
> but avoids all the debates about changing the number mentors.
>
>   ...ant
>
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 3:13 PM, Ross Gardler
> <rg...@opendirective.com> wrote:
>> +1
>>
>> (thanks for bringing this together Bertrand)
>>
>> On 12 January 2012 15:02, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Hi Incubator PMC,
>>>
>>> Here's the result of discussions that took place around Christmas -
>>> the goal is to try and improve the PMC's oversight on podling reports
>>> and missing mentors, by having the Champion act as the main liaison
>>> between a podling and the Incubator PMC.
>>>
>>> If we agree on the below principles, I'll update the
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html#Champion
>>> description accordingly.
>>>
>>> Please cast your votes to accept the following clarifications to the
>>> Champion's role - this majority vote is open for at least 72 hours:
>>>
>>> Once a podling is created, and until it graduates, its Champion must:
>>>
>>> 1. Coordinate the creation and timely delivery of the podling's board reports.
>>>
>>> 2. Keep an eye on the mentors' activity and take action (ask for new
>>> mentors, talk to the Incubator PMC) if they don't seem to provide
>>> enough oversight or mentorship to the podling,
>>>
>>> As far as the podling is concerned:
>>>
>>> 3. The podling can elect a new Champion at any time, and must notify
>>> the Incubator PMC when that happens.
>>>
>>> 4. Existing podlings will need to elect a Champion, unless their
>>> current one agrees to take on the above tasks.
>>>
>>> 5. The podling reports must indicate who the current Champion is.
>>>
>>> -Bertrand

>> --
>> Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
>> Programme Leader (Open Development)

Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I live here; http://tinyurl.com/3xugrbk
I work here; http://tinyurl.com/6a2pl4j
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: [VOTE] Clarify the role of the Champion as an "incubation coordinator"

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
+1

In the docs, please remind to keep site-author/podlings.xml@champion up-to-date.

-David

Re: [VOTE] Clarify the role of the Champion as an "incubation coordinator"

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
+1

OpenDirective http://opendirective.com