Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com> on 1997/09/18 21:40:24 UTC

Bugs still present in 1.2.4 (fwd)

Not acked.

Our %2f handling used to be deliberate for security hole avoidance.

Is it still a feature or now a bug ?

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
At 03:57 PM 9/18/97 -0700, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>I did respond to Jim (and a few other Dienst folks) last year, and my
>response was quite clear about why it is NOT a bug in Apache.  It was
>a deliberate plug of a security hole in some broken CGI scripts.
>We didn't "fix" the problem because we didn't want to reintroduce the
>security hole.
>
>We should find another way to avoid the security hole, but they could
>have just as easily (and more correctly) avoided using %2F in Dienst.
>That is why it was not a priority.

Is this bug in any of the CGI scripts in 1.2.4?

	Brian

"it's a big world, with lots of records to play." - sig   brian@organic.com

Re: Bugs still present in 1.2.4 (fwd)

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
Hi David,

Prior to october 96 we didn't have any accurate method of tracking bugs.
That's when we instituted the bug tracking system.  The bug report you're
talking about was carried around by hand in our regular status reports for
a long time before being entered ... and I think it's safe to say that in
may 97 we were all pretty tired from a grueling 1.2 beta cycle where we
cleared out a lot of stuff.

PR#543 has been the topic of recent discussion, and more related PRs.  The
reason it hasn't been solved yet is that we have concerns about security
issues involving %2F.  But given that one of my consulting clients has
probed me on the issue I'll probably dig into it more in the next few
weeks.

The URL you gave below doesn't have a fully qualified host name, could you
supply the full hostname?  Thanks.

Dean