Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org> on 2003/11/11 10:39:38 UTC

setting up Maven on Linux

I want to set up Maven 1.0rc1 on my linux laptop for all users, but I am running
into problems because all new plugins need to be installed by root, which makes
the process of installing and debugging plugins a real problem.

I have set the plugins directory with the following settings:

chgrp -R users plugins
chmod -R g+w plugins

I still can't let users update and add plugins at this location.  Also, how many
others are using Maven with a real operating system (Windows doesn't count)?
The issues are completely with permissions.

Re: setting up Maven on Linux

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
Make the group rights sticky sounds as an option ?

Mvgr,
Martin

On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 11:06, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> __matthewHawthorne wrote:
> > I think you have the right idea.  But I've never been able to get a
> > shared plugin directory working.  I allow them to be unpacked in the
> > default dir ~/.maven/plugins.
> >
> > I have been able to set up my local repository in the way that you're
> > suggesting though.
> >
> > Try doing chgrp and chmod with the -v (verbose) option to make sure that
> > all files are being affected.
>
> The problem is the way the plugin:install goal works.  It modifies the
> installation plugin directory, as well as the ~/.maven/plugins.
>
> Normally this isn't a problem--until you try to do plugin development.
>

> > Berin Loritsch wrote:
> >
> >> I want to set up Maven 1.0rc1 on my linux laptop for all users, but I
> >> am running
> >> into problems because all new plugins need to be installed by root,
> >> which makes
> >> the process of installing and debugging plugins a real problem.
> >>
> >> I have set the plugins directory with the following settings:
> >>
> >> chgrp -R users plugins
> >> chmod -R g+w plugins
> >>
> >> I still can't let users update and add plugins at this location.
> >> Also, how many
> >> others are using Maven with a real operating system (Windows doesn't
> >> count)?
> >> The issues are completely with permissions.

Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>
mvdb.com

Re: setting up Maven on Linux

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
Don't use plugin:install in a multi-user environment. Use plugin:deploy.
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting

Re: setting up Maven on Linux

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org>.

Re: setting up Maven on Linux

Posted by __matthewHawthorne <ma...@phreaker.net>.

Re: setting up Maven on Linux

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org>.
__matthewHawthorne wrote:
> Remember that, if you change a user's groups, you have to logout and
> re-login for the changes to take effect.

so I see.  Build successful....

Thank you much.

Re: setting up Maven on Linux

Posted by __matthewHawthorne <ma...@phreaker.net>.