Posted to user@struts.apache.org by jacob skariah <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2007/02/25 03:59:28 UTC

Internationalization -- Issue with Japanese Characters

Hi All,

      I am developing an Internatinalized application
based on struts frame work. But while displaying
Japanese character, I am getting Junk data. I am
getting issue with only multibyte characters (Japanese
..) Other laguages are working fine.

I have done the following things....

1. Storing the Japanese text as Unicode in property
files
2. Set the pageEncodeing and charset as UTF-8 in JSP's
3. Set Encoding as UTF-8 in web.xml and tomcats
conf/web.xml
4. Added the javaEncoding param as UTF-8  in tomcats
conf/web.xml

Please let me know if I am missing anything or do I
need to do any additional settings.

Enviornment
-----------
Windows, Tomcat 5, Struts, JSTL

Regards
manoj

Re: Internationalization -- Issue with Japanese Characters

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
Laurie,

You're technically right. However, I've seen more and more people
(including myself) make their property files straight UTF-8, and specify
the encoding type when the stream is created. So if you're willing to do
a few more hoops, you can have it in any other encoding you desire:

http://www.thoughtsabout.net/blog/archives/000044.html

Also the Spring Framework supports this directly.

Paul

Posted by Laurie Harper <la...@holoweb.net>.