Posted to site-dev@james.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2006/09/30 10:14:16 UTC

[James Wiki] Update of "Development/ReplacePhoenix" by JoachimDraeger

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "James Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by JoachimDraeger:
http://wiki.apache.org/james/Development/ReplacePhoenix

New page:
#format wiki
#language en

There have been several discussions in the past about searching for an alternative for Avalon/Phoenix. The main reason might be that the Avalon project has closed.

'''Glossary'''

I find it difficult to name the things all that fancy framework do. And It seems the developers of that frameworks don't seem to have a consistent naming either. So what is OSGi? A platform? A microkernel? And Phoenix? And Avalon? A container?
So we should define it here.

'''Current Architecture'''

To be able to discuss switching the framework we need a summery what is currently used and how.

 * Phoenix
 * Avalon
 * Cornerstone

'''The Alternatives'''

The first thing to to talk about would be the platform/microkernel the application runs in because that might limit the possibilities for the integration of additional frameworks.

'''OSGi'''

 * My [:/OSGi/KnopflerfishTryOut: first steps] with Knopflerfish

'''Others'''

 * Plexus