Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jason House <jh...@mitre.org> on 2005/09/27 15:35:23 UTC

Restricted access by branch

Is it possible to have multiple "branches" with shared history, but to
restrict certain users from access to particular branches?  Any guidance
on how I could do this would be greatly appreciated.

For a little bit of background:
One branch in our repository is a joint development/integration with
software from another organization; we can't share their code with
others.  I'd like to give other users access to other branches (or
possibly just the release branch).

Re: Restricted access by branch

Posted by Ximon Eighteen <xi...@int.greenpeace.org>.
Jason House wrote:
> Is it possible to have multiple "branches" with shared history, but to
> restrict certain users from access to particular branches?  Any guidance
> on how I could do this would be greatly appreciated.

Since branches are (if you follow the suggested structure) just
directories inside your repository you can use (if using mod_authz_svn,
or the upcoming (I think) support in svnserve for similar permission
controls) the mod_authz_svn access control file with something like:

[repos:/branches/branchname]
sally = r
* =

Or whatever permission model you want.

Restricting access via other tools that talk to your repository (such as
ViewCVS) depends on how the tool works. If it talks to the repository as
any client would then its access can be controlled. If however like
ViewCVS it talks locally directly to the repository I think you need
support in ViewCVS. I have hacked (badly) my copy of ViewCVS borrowing a
little code from the Trac project and some of my own in combination with
an Apache configuration that uses mod_authz_svn to apply basic auth to
my ViewCVS URLs too (extra code for the query.py part of ViewCVS was
required, this obviously cannot use URL based protection).

Ximon