Posted to dev@taverna.apache.org by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org> on 2018/05/14 14:39:49 UTC

[DISCUSS] Release Apache Taverna Language 0.16.0-incubating RC1

This is the accompanying discussion thread for the release candidate for
Apache Taverna Language 0.16.0-incubating RC1

For the VOTE thread and download details, see
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/29405e13efcd3282e978982c2c4c02b1d1bf683460ce618c7248617a@%3Cdev.taverna.apache.org%3E

To kick this off - I just realised Java 9 is already out of support
(!) - see http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html

So when I tried with JDK 10.0.1 on Windows I got an error in the new
cxf-xjc-plugin plugin config:

[INFO] --- cxf-xjc-plugin:3.2.1:xsdtojava (default) @ taverna-robundle ---
WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by
com.sun.xml.bind.v2.runtime.reflect.opt.Injector
(file:/C:/Users/stain/.m2/repository/com/sun/xml/bind/jaxb-impl/2.2.11/jaxb-impl-2.2.11.jar)
to method java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(java.lang.String,byte[],int,int)
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of
com.sun.xml.bind.v2.runtime.reflect.opt.Injector
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further
illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release
[ERROR] C:\1\apache-taverna-language-0.16.0-incubating\taverna-robundle\src\main\xsd\container.xsd
[94:28]: Property "Any" is already defined. Use &lt;jaxb:property> to
resolve this conflict.
com.sun.istack.SAXParseException2: Property "Any" is already defined.
Use &lt;jaxb:property> to resolve this conflict.
    at com.sun.tools.xjc.ErrorReceiver.error (ErrorReceiver.java:86)
    at com.sun.tools.xjc.reader.ModelChecker.checkPropertyCollision
(ModelChecker.java:112)
    at com.sun.tools.xjc.reader.ModelChecker.check (ModelChecker.java:98)
    at com.sun.tools.xjc.reader.ModelChecker.check (ModelChecker.java:71)
    at com.sun.tools.xjc.reader.xmlschema.BGMBuilder._build
(BGMBuilder.java:183)
    at com.sun.tools.xjc.reader.xmlschema.BGMBuilder.build (BGMBuilder.java:119)

Is this a blocker? I don't understand quite Oracle's schedule.. it
seems JDK8 is still LTS until January 2019 while even JDK10 will
expire earlier in Sep 2018. (JDK11 being next LTS) -- so I am not sure
what would be the point to chase JDK10 either..

.. btw if you get "gpg key expired" then remember to update your KEYS
(gpg --import) as I updated my release key.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Taverna Language 0.16.0-incubating RC1

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 15 May 2018 16:11:45 +0100, Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> wrote:
> It's downloading from:
>
> https://dl.bintray.com/
> https://repo.spring.io/
> https://jcenter.bintray.com/
>
> even Apache artifacts are downloaded from these sites.
>
> Is there anything not in maven central?

Hmm.. I also noticed that. Peculiar, as I don't think Taverna Language
needs use any dependencies not in Maven Central.

I see this is inherited from Taverna Maven Parent:
from://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-maven-parent/blob/3-incubating/pom.xml#L849

.. but why is not https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/ (Maven Central)
consulted first? Has the lookup order changed in recent Maven versions?

While before we needed repo.spring.io for various OSGi-compatible
re-packaging of existing libraries, now most of them have
OSGi-compatible JARs in the official Maven Central deployment.

Now I think those repositories are primarily needed by taverna-osgi and
taverna-engine (for Spring) -- so perhaps they should rather be listed
there rather than in taverna-maven-parent now that Taverna Language has
gained a more independent role? Might mean a bit of duplication though.

The .RELEASE versions of Spring are also in Maven Central so
perhaps repo.spring.io is not needed anymore at all?
http://central.maven.org/maven2/org/springframework/spring-core/

Raised as TAVERNA-1049
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAVERNA-1049

I also see that the Apache super-parent
https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/apache/19/apache-19.pom
was released just after last Taverna Maven Parent 3-incubating,
so it would be good to also update it for that, testing downstream with
any new plugin versions.

Raised as TAVERNA-1050
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAVERNA-1050

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
https://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Taverna Language 0.16.0-incubating RC1

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
It's downloading from:

https://dl.bintray.com/
https://repo.spring.io/
https://jcenter.bintray.com/

even Apache artifacts are downloaded from these sites.

Is there anything not in maven central?

     Andy

Posted by Stuart Owen <st...@manchester.ac.uk>.
Using docker this way is also a nice way to test within a clean state.

Since I wasn't concerned about losing things afterwards I used :

    docker run -it --rm  openjdk:9 bash

thanks,

Stuart