Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Rakesh Shukla <ry...@hotmail.com> on 2006/02/07 03:11:25 UTC

[Net] NNTPClient: How to use retrieveArticle and retrieveArticleBody methods?

Hi,

I am able to post an article using following (example) code.

Writer writer = client.postArticle();
if (writer != null) {
SimpleNNTPHeader header=new SimpleNNTPHeader
("foobar@foo.com","Just testing");
	Header.addNewsgroup("alt.test");
	writer.write(header.toString());
	writer.write("This is just a test");
	writer.close();
	client.completePendingCommand();
}

When I use any of the retrieveArticle and retrieveArticleBody methods the
system just hangs. Please let me know how to use these methods properly.

Re: [Net] NNTPClient: How to use retrieveArticle and retrieveArticleBody methods?

Posted by Rory Winston <rw...@eircom.net>.
Rakesh

Try attaching a ProtocolCommandListener to the in/out streams so you can
debug what is happening on the wire:

client = new NNTPClient();
client.addProtocolCommandListener(new PrintCommandListener(new PrintWriter(System.out)));

I also dont think you need to call completePendingCommand() ( I may be mistaken here, its been a while since I had a look at this).

Make sure you have called selectNewsgroup() as well.

Cheers
Rory