Posted to commits@couchdb.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2010/04/10 18:35:49 UTC

[Couchdb Wiki] Trivial Update of "Introduction" by SebastianCohnen

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Couchdb Wiki" for change notification.

The "Introduction" page has been changed by SebastianCohnen.
The comment on this change is: added first level heading; added TOC; added js-syntax hl; minor stuff.
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Introduction?action=diff&rev1=1&rev2=2

+ = Introduction =
+ <<TableOfContents()>>
+
  == What CouchDB is ==
-

   * A document database server, accessible via a RESTful JSON API.
   * Ad-hoc and schema-free with a flat address space.
@@ -16, +18 @@

  == Key Characteristics ==

- ### Documents ###
+ === Documents ===

  A CouchDB document is an object that consists of named fields. Field values may be strings, numbers, dates, or even ordered lists and associative maps. An example of a document would be a blog post:

- {{{
+ {{{#!highlight javascript
+ {
      "Subject": "I like Plankton"
      "Author": "Rusty"
      "PostedDate": "5/23/2006"
      "Tags": ["plankton", "baseball", "decisions"]
      "Body": "I decided today that I don't like baseball. I like plankton."
+ }
  }}}

  In the above example document, `Subject` is a field that contains a single string value "I like plankton". `Tags`  is a field containing the list of values "plankton",  "baseball", and "decisions".