Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Kevin Meinert <ke...@vrsource.org> on 2003/10/29 00:30:30 UTC

svn for managing art (binary) assets?

Hi, does svn have a lock feature (through a read-only flag for example)?

I can't think of a way to relyably manage art or binary data unless this
feature exists...

I'd want to be able to turn this on per folder (or better yet), per
file...   I'm guessing the repos would keep this bit, and when you svn
checkout you'd get a read-only copy, that you'd have to unlock before
editing using some svn command (maybe unlock or some other keyword)...

I'm evaluating svn for use, but if it can't manage binary files so that I
don't get conflicts on binary files, then it wont work for me (source safe
has this and is the only reason it is "ok" - though I hate SS for all other
reasons and would like to use cvs/svn style tools)...

I'm open to other ways of locking or managing these types of assets if svn
already has some method.  but I need something that protects non-technical
users (artists) from mistakes...

--
*--*---*---*----*-----*------*------*-----*----*---*---*--*
Kevin Meinert                         /_/

Re: svn for managing art (binary) assets?

Posted by Kevin Meinert <ke...@vrsource.org>.
doh, I was going on information from someone else rather than reading the
docs for cvs...  I'll try it out and see if it will work for me, though
I'd rather use svn...  glad it's planned for svn at least

--
*--*---*---*----*-----*------*------*-----*----*---*---*--*

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Kevin Meinert <ke...@vrsource.org>.

>> 2. Exclusive and advisory locking for regular svn clients.
>>        Many, many people want this feature.

sounds like you're on track.  awsome!  I'm really surprised cvs never did
this, though it seemed more of a code tool than binary tool...  glad you
guys are stepping up to this.  i'll be sure to recomend svn to my
collegues as soon as this feature gets in.

--

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.