Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Jonathan Ballet <jb...@gfproducts.ch> on 2015/06/18 11:13:47 UTC

Deploying OpsCenter behind a HTTP(S) proxy

Hi,

I'm looking for information on how to correctly deploy an OpsCenter
instance behind a HTTP(S) proxy.

I have a running instance of OpsCenter 5.1 reachable at
http://opscenter:8888/opscenter/ but I would like to be able to
serve this kind of tool under a single hostname on HTTPS along with
other tools of this kind, for easier convenience.

I'm currently using Apache as my HTTP front-end and I tried this
naive configuration:

<VirtualHost *:80>
     ServerName tools
     ProxyPreserveHost On
             ######### Proxy to OpsCenter #########
     ProxyPass 		/opscenter/	http://opscenter:8888/opscenter/
     ProxyPassReverse	/opscenter/	http://opscenter:8888/opscenter/
</VirtualHost>

This doesn't quite work, as OpsCenter seem to also serve specific
endpoints from / directly

Of course, it doesn't correctly work, as OpsCenter seem to also serve
specific data from / directly, such as:

    /cluster-configs
    /TestCluster
    /meta
    /rc
    /tcp

Is there something I can configure in OpsCenter so that it serves these
URLs from somewhere else, or a list of known URLs that I can remap on
the proxy, or better yet, a known proxy configuration to put in front of
OpsCenter?

Regards,

Jonathan

Re: Deploying OpsCenter behind a HTTP(S) proxy

Posted by Spencer Brown <li...@gmail.com>.
In your examples, there are front pages then there are links to more info
on different things.
Do you want me to just write a front page or to provide content for the
different links?

Posted by Jonathan Ballet <jb...@gfproducts.ch>.
On 06/18/2015 11:13 AM, Jonathan Ballet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for information on how to correctly deploy an OpsCenter
> instance behind a HTTP(S) proxy.
>
> I have a running instance of OpsCenter 5.1 reachable at
> http://opscenter:8888/opscenter/ but I would like to be able to
> serve this kind of tool under a single hostname on HTTPS along with
> other tools of this kind, for easier convenience.
>
> I'm currently using Apache as my HTTP front-end and I tried this
> naive configuration:

For those interested, we are currently using this configuration which is
really ad-hoc and probably not complete, although we didn't have any
error yet:

     ProxyPass /opscenter/       http://opscenter:8888/opscenter/
     ProxyPass /tcp              http://opscenter:8888/tcp
     ProxyPass /rc               http://opscenter:8888/rc
     ProxyPass /meta             http://opscenter:8888/meta
     ProxyPass /cluster-configs  http://opscenter:8888/cluster-configs
     ProxyPass /CLUSTERNAME/     http://opscenter:8888/CLUSTERNAME/

(and the related ProxyPassReverse directives)

I'm still having a look once in a while to check if we missed some URLs,
but I guess that's the best we found so far.

Hopefully this will get much simpler with an incoming release...

Cheers,

  Jonathan

Long nodetool repair use nodetool repair incremental

Posted by Jean Tremblay <je...@zen-innovations.com>.
Hi,

I understand that we must repair the DB on a regular basis.
Now I also see that making a repair is using lots of resources in the cluster so I need to do this during the weekend because I really would like to have high performance at least during the week days.

In the documentation I see the "incremental nodetool repair”. That really seems to be the option for me.

Few questions:

1) Why is it written in the documentation that it is suggested to do incremental repair daily, and full repair on the weekends? Is repair incremental not good enough or not safe?
2) In order to use incremental repair we need to do migration steps. One of these steps is to run the tool sstablerepairedset. What is the parameter <sstables>? Is it the name (without extension) of all *.db files contained in the data/cfdir?
3) Is the sstablerepairedset really needed when making a repair incremental on an empty DB?

Thanks for your help

Jean

Re: Deploying OpsCenter behind a HTTP(S) proxy

Posted by Spencer Brown <li...@gmail.com>.
Well, it does sound like you just need proxies for cluster-configs,
TestCluster, etc...   Your site is called opscenter and then you proxy a
directory called opscenter.  But the 2 have nothing to do with each other.
Your site can be called opscenter and then you need a proxy for
TestCluster, etc...  You haven't proxied opscenter the host - you've
proxied opscenter the directory.  Because opscenter the host has many
directories with names other than opscenter, you need to have proxy rules
for all those too.   Or, as I'd said, you may be better off using rewrite
if there are proxies that proxy is not complicated enough for.

Posted by Jonathan Ballet <jb...@gfproducts.ch>.
Hi Spencer,

Posted by Jonathan Ballet <jb...@gfproducts.ch>.
Hi Ben,

thank for your reply. That was I was afraid of actually as it means
there's no easy solution to implement I guess.
I think some guys in my team are in contact with DS people, so I may
have a look there.

Jonathan

Posted by Nick Bailey <ni...@datastax.com>.
Unfortunately OpsCenter doesn't currently support running behind a proxy,
because of the issues you've discovered. Fixing this is on our roadmap
though, but I unfortunately can't give a specific date or release when we
will get to it. You will definitely see it in the release notes when we
release a version that fixes this. Sorry for the trouble.

-Nick

Posted by Otis Gospodnetić <ot...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Ben Bromhead <be...@instaclustr.com>.