Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Ido Ran <id...@gmail.com> on 2010/09/15 16:06:11 UTC

iPhone Safari and CouchDB Website

Hi,
I've try to view my CouchApp using my iPhone and found something not so
good: Because CouchApp use _changes feature of CouchDB by long polling on
the server the address bar of the iPhone Safari never goes away.
Most users will not understand why it is and frankly it pretty annoying.
If also happen on any desktop browser but there it is somewhat less obvious.

Can someone think of a clever solution?

Thank you,
Ido

Re: iPhone Safari and CouchDB Website

Posted by Dale Harvey <da...@arandomurl.com>.
I didnt look into this particularly thouroughly, but I "think" that the
the document as a whole has kept loading, so if a longpoll request was made
before the last image / resource has loaded, the loading will wait until the
long poll has complete, a settimeout helps when stuff has been cached but I
think it wont help on a fresh request, Ill take a look / fix it in a bit.

Posted by Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 5:25 PM, Tyler Gillies <ty...@pdxbrain.com> wrote:
> The only real way to get around the continual load in using a "patch" My
> implementation is to first request a 404 page and then request a real page.
> I like chris's [ how do you punctuate that?] way of doing it better.

i think the long term solution will be websockets

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchrisa.net

Re: iPhone Safari and CouchDB Website

Posted by Tyler Gillies <ty...@pdxbrain.com>.
side note:
http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/2964/when-did-it-become-correct-to-add-an-s-to-a-singular-possessive-already-ending

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tyler Gillies <ty...@pdxbrain.com>.

Posted by Ido Ran <id...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchrisa.net

Re: iPhone Safari and CouchDB Website

Posted by Ido Ran <id...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchrisa.net

Re: iPhone Safari and CouchDB Website

Posted by Ido Ran <id...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Ido Ran <id...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've try to view my CouchApp using my iPhone and found something not so
> good: Because CouchApp use _changes feature of CouchDB by long polling on
> the server the address bar of the iPhone Safari never goes away.
> Most users will not understand why it is and frankly it pretty annoying.
> If also happen on any desktop browser but there it is somewhat less obvious.
>
> Can someone think of a clever solution?
>
> Thank you,
> Ido

longpoll or continuous ?