Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Andy Grove <an...@codesuccess.com> on 2008/01/29 12:56:49 UTC

How to specify local jars as dependencies?

Hi,

I'm currently updating a code generator product to generate maven build
scripts as an alternative to Ant build scripts. Most of the dependencies in
the generated java code are open source jars and I can use the maven
<dependency> tags for those. However, the generated code also has
dependencies on commercial jars (such as Oracle JDBC drivers) that can not
go into a public maven repository and that I cannot distribute with my
product. The user will already have these jars locally.

How can I tell maven to put these local jars on the classpath when compiling
java code without using the dependency mechanism? I don't want to force
users to set up their own local repositories or to have to run maven
commands to install the jars in a local repository.

Thanks,

Andy.

Re: How to specify local jars as dependencies?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 29, 2008 6:53 AM, Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I've been looking for a way to specify a location that is guaranteed to
> contain
> PUBLICLY ACCESSIBLE LOCATION for ALL MAVEN2 PLUGINS
>
> Failing that.. is there a way to gain access to the plugins individually so
> we can d/l them to local drives ?

Might want to start a new thread, this seems unrelated to the OP's
need to refer to dependencies w/o installing them in the local repo.

The publicly accessible location is the central repo:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2, but I'm sure you knew that already.
You can't guarantee "ALL" -- people are free to set up their own
repos.  OpenSymphony comes to mind, I don't think all of their stuff
is in central.

What is the problem you're trying to solve?

--
Wendy

Re: How to specify local jars as dependencies?

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
this answers how to specify groupId, artifactId and version which can be
passed to mvn via command line as
mvn -DgroupId=org.package -DartifactId=comercial-jar -Dversion=9.0

   <groupId>org.package</groupId>
   <artifactId>comercial-jar</artifactId>
   <version>9.0</version>

I've been looking for a way to specify a location that is guaranteed to
contain
PUBLICLY ACCESSIBLE LOCATION for ALL MAVEN2 PLUGINS

Failing that.. is there a way to gain access to the plugins individually so
we can d/l them to local drives ?

Thanks
Martin-

Posted by Angel Sotirov <an...@devbg.piranko.com>.