Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2001/10/12 15:18:27 UTC

Cocoon Docs and pre announcement of a new Cocoon site

The Cocoon documentation "xml.apache.org" theme should be just like the
Stylebook generated stuff now.  Can someone verify that this is true?
The SVG markup now has a portable way to define where images are (per
context) that really helps deploying sites with live graphics.

I am in the midst of creating a site for my 2nd employer (an upstart
company catering to small and medium sized businesses with several
services).  The new site will be available soon.  It will be running
Cocoon 2 live with graphics that are generated with Batik.  The site
will be themed to demonstrate our ability to create small sites.  Part
of the services we will provide are web site development (we have the
pre-packaged themes that are part of the site, and custom work).  The
focus during the beginning stages is outsourced network administration.

Stay Tuned, I will post a full announcement and link to the live page
when it's up!

Re: AW: Cocoon Docs and pre announcement of a new Cocoon site

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi at stefano@apache.org wrote:

> I know Pier had the exact same problem with Stylebook: you have to call
> System.exit() in order to shut down some background thread that remains
> open and prohibits the JVM from exiting correctly.
>
> ASAIK, there is no known workaround. This is also the reason why you
> have to fork the JVM with the stylebook ant task and not running.
>
> Pier, do you know if this problem is still there for Java 1.4?

I dunno... Wasn't J2SDK 1.4 supposed to provide a new abstraction for AWT on
platforms without GUI? If so, something could be changed...

Sorry kids, that's kinda of a long (almost forgotten :( :( ) past...

    Pier

Re: AW: Cocoon Docs and pre announcement of a new Cocoon site

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> >
> > Hi Berin!
> >
> > Very nice job with the documentation, but
> > The site doesn't exactly like the original due to javascript. The
> > background images for selected items in the navigation are not generated.
> > This is the case - I think - as the javascript code is not traversed
> > by the LinkSerializer which produces all resources to generate.
>
> In that case, those links must be entered into the "uris" file.  It would
> be nice if LinkSerializer could understand to load those files.  Perhaps
> if we had an <xlink:link href="foo.js"/> element that gives the clue to
> the LinkSerializer, without impacting the site markup too much.
>
> > Another problem is batik. After a successfull generation it simply hangs!
>
> :(
>
> Does it do that for each image, or is it after the whole site is generated?
> I don't have that problem running Cocoon live.
>
> If after the whole site is generated, there is a live thread running in the
> background that should have been made a Daemon thread.  My guess is that it
> is in Batik.

I know Pier had the exact same problem with Stylebook: you have to call
System.exit() in order to shut down some background thread that remains
open and prohibits the JVM from exiting correctly.

ASAIK, there is no known workaround. This is also the reason why you
have to fork the JVM with the stylebook ant task and not running.

Pier, do you know if this problem is still there for Java 1.4?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: AW: Cocoon Docs and pre announcement of a new Cocoon site

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> If after the whole site is generated, there is a live thread running in the
> background that should have been made a Daemon thread.  My guess is that it
> is in Batik.
>
> As I am already subscribed to almost 20 lists, and my time is limited, I can
> track this one down with Batik.  Any takers out there to work this out with
> them?

TYPO:  I canNOT track this down.  I meant to type "can't" in the above paragraph.
sorry for the confusion.

Re: AW: Cocoon Docs and pre announcement of a new Cocoon site

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> > Berin Loritsch wrote:
> >
> > Try it with the "context:" URL changes.  I am using it now, and it works
> > wonders.  I am now getting a couple other themes ready, so I have
> > live theme
> > switching and image backed rollovers.  Now that I solved the
> > protocol issues,
> > I am stoked.
> Hmm, looking at the xml files in the documentation/svg directory, they
> already use the context: urls. I did a clean cvs checkout and build,
> but it doesn't work. (build -Dinclude.webapp.libs=true webapp and
> copy cocoon.webapp in Tomcat 3.2.3).
> Perhaps I'm missing something.

I'll look into it--it could simply be some bad markup somewhere--or the
javascript link is bad.  The version I have is already mangled with the
theme switching code.  Although, if you want the theme switching code
with a switch between xml.apache.org and printable.apache.org themes,
it is definitely doable.

AW: Cocoon Docs and pre announcement of a new Cocoon site

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.
> Berin Loritsch wrote:

Carsten

Re: AW: Cocoon Docs and pre announcement of a new Cocoon site

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> >
> > Hi Berin!
> >
> > Very nice job with the documentation, but
> > The site doesn't exactly like the original due to javascript. The
> > background images for selected items in the navigation are not
> generated.
> > This is the case - I think - as the javascript code is not traversed
> > by the LinkSerializer which produces all resources to generate.
>
> In that case, those links must be entered into the "uris" file.  It would
> be nice if LinkSerializer could understand to load those files.  Perhaps
> if we had an <xlink:link href="foo.js"/> element that gives the clue to
> the LinkSerializer, without impacting the site markup too much.

Yes, something like that should work. We shoudn't use the "uris" file
as it is hard to update.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.
Hi Berin!